FuelSmart HydroStat 3200

Old 11-15-13, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FuelSmart HydroStat 3200

I said I would post an update after one year of operation for my aquastat replacement on my Dunkirk boiler. My gas usage was 16% less than it was last year at this time. I checked last years temperature compared to this year (October) and they were very comparable. Over all. I am very happy with this controller. Very worth while investment .

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fuel smart aquastat

Hi, I too installed a Hydrolevel fuel smart aquastat on my boiler, only the model for oil fired equipment (I forget the model #). It seems to work exactly as described. I installed it around the same time I built an accessory apartment in my house for a relative, which required keeping the house several degrees warmer during the day. I tracked my "K factor" from a year before the change to the present and it didn't change at all. I don't know what that translates to in percent, but if I'm burning the same amount of fuel and keeping the house several degrees warmer, it's got to be saving me. I'm happy with that-

Steve

Old 11-15-13, 07:54 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The idea of 'thermal targeting' that is used in the HydroStat devices is interesting.

They use INDOOR FEEDBACK by tracking thermostat calls.

When thermostat calls are infrequent and short duration, the control takes this as a 'low demand' situation and cuts back the boiler temperature. On the flip side, if the calls are frequent and longer, the control understands this as 'high demand' and raises the boiler temperature accordingly.

Controls that use ONLY OUTDOOR temperature to do this are missing a few key pieces of data when adjusting the boiler temperature.

What if:

It is a cold, but very sunny day, and the home has a certain amount of 'passive solar gain' ? (southwest facing windows for example). Using outdoor temperature only, the water temperature would not be changed.

With INDOOR FEEDBACK, the solar gain will be compensated for and water temperature will be reduced.

It is a cold and very WINDY day. The home's heat loss is HIGHER in this condition. OD feedback would not compensate for this.

Indoor feedback would.

Holiday party, room full of hot bodies... OD, no compensation. ID feedback, compensated for.

It's a good idea... I like it.