Thermostat for white rogers 3 wire zone valves

Old 11-15-13, 07:34 AM
Thermostat for white rogers 3 wire zone valves

I bought a Honeywell thermostat that claimed to be compatible with hot water systems, however it was not. My system has white rogers zones, and they have wiring that goes to a mounted grey box (my guess is its a controller). I also have white rogers mercury thermostats that control the zones (They are 3 wire zones valves). I'd like to upgrade to non programmable digital ones at the least, but if possible id like programmable. Do i need new white rogers thermostats to match the zones? or will any work that are compatible with 3 wire zones? I'm always skeptical when i find one online that it will actually work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 09:02 AM
NJT
Your zone valves... what model are they?

My system has white rogers zones, and they have wiring that goes to a mounted grey box (my guess is its a controller)
Let's see a picture of that box, inside too, and any make/model information you can find on it.

I believe that the Honeywell FocusPro 6000 series will work with three wire zone valves... but don't buy yet because I'm not sure what that gray box is doing for you.

Old 11-17-13, 08:21 AM
I have uploaded some pics of the zone valves, and the grey box. It will show the configuration of the valves, and related items.

Zone Valves Photos by cpentasuglia | Photobucket

Old 11-17-13, 08:57 AM
NJT
Can't read the label on the zone valve.

What is inside the box? or a part/model number will do.

Old 11-18-13, 04:20 AM
I have found the serial on the zone valves.

F19-0097 - White Rodgers F19-0097 - 3 Wire Motor Assembly For Zone Valves

I haven't had a chance to look at that box yet, however i did look at it a little bit more. The pump is wired off of that grey box (as well as the zone valves), so I'm guessing as a zone is signaled to open, it turns the pump on?

Old 11-18-13, 06:41 AM
NJT
Those are the 1311 series valves.

See this thread for an option to use 2 wire thermostat to control them, it involves wiring an additional relay... which is actually pretty easy, all 24VAC wiring, and the relay should only cost around $10 or so.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ml#post2189777

This relay would work:
(note that the photo with the webpage shows a SPST model, but the part number is for the SPDT model which is what would be needed)

90-293Q - White Rodgers 90-293Q - Fan Relay, Type 84, 24 VAC Coil, SPDT. Coil Data: 90 Ohms DC Resistance, 125 mA (Nominal), 3 VA (Nominal), 4 VA (Inrush)

I'm guessing as a zone is signaled to open, it turns the pump on?
Likely yes... there may also be another set of contacts that are firing the boiler.

Last edited by NJT; 11-18-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-18-13, 10:37 AM
NJT
This one says 3 wire... same manufacturer...

1F80-0471 - White Rodgers 1F80-0471 - Digital Thermostat - PexSupply.com

Old 11-18-13, 06:00 PM
Great. I could only find a non-programmable for a decent price, but both of those are decent. Right now i have old mercury ones, so it's time to upgrade.

Old 11-18-13, 06:16 PM
NJT
Thought you wanted programmable?

If you go to pexsupply and scroll through (search on White Rodgers) you'll get a couple hundred items, but I think I saw that same thermostat in non-programmable as well.

Old 11-19-13, 04:49 AM
Yeah i do, sorry for the confusion. What i meant was that i have having trouble finding a programmable one for a good price that would be compatible with my system. I think i may go with the
1F80-0471 - White Rodgers 1F80-0471 - Digital Thermostat - PexSupply.com

that you included below.