furnace capacity for new addition?

Old 11-19-13, 11:27 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
furnace capacity for new addition?

So I'm building an addition to my home and hoping the current furnace is up to the task. the existing home is 1312 sq/ft and the addition will be 545 for a total of 1850 sq/ft. -- so still a pretty modest sized home. my current furnace is a Weil-Mclain WGO-4 with a DOE heating capacity of 145. I have hot water heat with a circulating pump and the new and old house are all fully insulated. I'm in NE NJ in Bergen county. is there a way to get a rough sense of whether the furnace is up to the new task now for planning purposes -- i know ultimately i will need to go to a professional for help! thanks john p

Old 11-19-13, 12:35 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Weil-Mclain WGO-4 with a DOE heating capacity of 145
I presume that "145" means 145,000 BTUH ... has to be ...

As is, your boiler is WAY oversized already.

You could in all likliehood QUADRUPLE the size of your home and still heat it with that boiler.

Old 11-19-13, 02:16 PM
G
Hey that was my feeling too but i assumed i was missing something! I'm now wondering about whether they sold me more furnace than i needed in the first place! but that may now be my advantage if i've got more than enough for the addition so perhaps its all working out for the best.

Old 11-19-13, 03:17 PM
NJT
I'm now wondering about whether they sold me more furnace than i needed in the first place!
Ummmmm... yeah...

perhaps its all working out for the best
Even with the addition, it's doubtful that you need even as much as 60K ... so, I dunno if it's 'for the best' to have a boiler that's more than twice as big as needed.

Old 11-20-13, 06:56 AM
G
older and wiser now is the way to look at it I guess. far better tho than the suggestion that the plumber made which was that we might need a second furnace!

Old 11-20-13, 08:31 AM
NJT
far better tho than the suggestion that the plumber made which was that we might need a second furnace!
OMG YES! Definitely for the better that that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: