first floor CI radiator not heating, new Triangle tube install

Old 11-18-13, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first floor CI radiator not heating, new Triangle tube install

Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me. I installed a Triangle tube Challenger Combi, I have a CH pump on a old 2" piping to cast iron radiators. The system looks to be a two pipe direct return. In the loop there is a radiator on the first floor that is not heating. The pipes off the main run are cold. The supply and return main run are hot as is the second floor rads that come after this no functioning one.
I bled the system and had drained and filled the system several times. I drained several 5 gallon buckets from the bleeder screw on the faulty radiator.

What could cause this?

Only other thought is I had two mains coming form the original boiler and connected them when I move the new boiler to another location.

If that is the problem should I run a manifold type when I run re plumb the system with pex?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-13, 12:44 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What could cause this?
Air blockage or a closed valve or other obstruction in one of the pipes.

Only other thought is I had two mains coming form the original boiler and connected them when I move the new boiler to another location.
I don't understand what you mean. Can you post a picture that would help us understsand?

Old 11-19-13, 07:38 AM
pictures

here are the photos requested

Attached Images     
Old 11-19-13, 08:40 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You patched the larger mains together with a much smaller size PEX ?

Probably not going to help the cold radiator, but those splices should have been equivalent diamter pipe. You've created a 'bottleneck' in the water flow.

Are there valves on each of the radiators? If so, close all but the cold one and see if this will force the air out.

Old 11-19-13, 09:20 AM

unfortunately I don't have any valves on any of the radiators.
What do you think if I was to put a manifold on the boiler and run a separate line to those 3 boilers?
Also do you think the rad is plugged or its a balancing/air problem?

Old 11-19-13, 09:22 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Looking at your diagram and your pex splice. There 2" pipes are there for a reason. But that being said you did say you were getting heat downstream from the cold rad. As far as your splice goes your only going to get as much flow as your smallest pipe.
It looks like those pipes had threads on both ends already. It may have been a better idea to get 2" B.I. unions and then get 2" B.I. pipe to fit.
If there are no valves closed and you feel you've bled properly and it heated before, look at the changes you made to create the problem.