Air separator for baseboard heating system and expansion tank

Old 11-18-13, 12:21 PM
Talking Air separator for baseboard heating system and expansion tank

I have taco $18 Air Scoop that does not do a good job. Air builds up in pipes often . What should be a good replacement air separator for a Weil Mclain 175000 BTU CG system? I'm thinking of getting a Taco 4900 Air Separator as a replacement. Will run me about $150.

Also suggested expansion tank size is 7.5 Gallon. However is it ok to install a #90 Extrol Expansion Tank as a replacement? Is more better? The one I have in the system probably not holding water causing relief valve to spew water all night.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-13, 12:37 PM
NJT
Air builds up in pipes often
There could be several other reasons for air building up.

Look at it this way... once the water has been in the system for some period of time, all the air is driven out and vented... once the air is out, it should STAY out. Where is the 'air' that's building up actually coming from?

You may end up spending a lot of money, and time, making changes and find out that it didn't help at all.

Is the system absolutely 'tight'? No slow leaks? (corroded connections are evidence)... the pressure gauge always shows a minimum of 12 PSI?...

However is it ok to install a #90 Extrol Expansion Tank as a replacement? Is more better?
More is not 'better', although most guys would simply say "... can't hurt ..." but why spend extra money that isn't doing anything positive for you?

Old 11-18-13, 12:50 PM
Good and valid points. I'll check the PSI. To stop water overflow should I then replace jsut the releif valve for $10/15?

Old 11-18-13, 01:22 PM
NJT
To stop water overflow should I then replace jsut the releif valve for $10/15?
No... if you've got a bad tank then of course you need to replace that.

I thought you were asking about the tank because you wanted to install a larger one? If the original size tank worked fine for so many years, just replace with same size.

What size tank is installed now?

Old 11-18-13, 07:03 PM
I have no idea. The tank is about 4/5 years old and has no marking or label. When the system runs I don't see the tank getting hotter in the middle.

Old 11-18-13, 07:11 PM
NJT
If it's a bladder type tank it won't get hot in the middle, it will get hot on one end that's connected to the boiler.

Read this, there is step by step for recharging the air in the tank which should be done at LEAST every two years.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Did you get a chance to check the pressure yet?

Read this also:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html