Pressure relief valve on boiler still leaking after replacing valve and tank

Old 11-18-13, 09:57 PM
Pressure relief valve on boiler still leaking after replacing valve and tank

i replaced a slant fin heater on a zone in a six zone heating system and reran some piping. After turning everything back on, my 30psi pressure reliif valve was steadily leaking. I replaced the valve and the leak continued. After doing some research, i also replaced the expansion tank. After removing the old tank it showed no psi when i check it so i thought i found the issue. I checked the new tank and confirmed it was precharged with the standard 12psi. I put the new tank in and again i still have a steady leak out of the pressure release valve.

Questions:
Can air in the the system be causing this pressure and leak? I had everything running and all the thermostats on and one by one tried to remove the air from the system but not certain if i did it right or if this would even affect the PRV. If so what is the proper way to remove air from each zone?

I havent had the chance yet to reduce the pressure to zero again and check the new tank but is there something i could have done out of sequnce that could have caused my new tank to fill up with too much water and recreate the same issue?

The water tempt according to the guage is 190 and the leak occurs whether the boiler is on("on" meaning i can hear it running and i see the flames) or whether its off(not switched off but just not burning)

Any suggestions at this point would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 07:01 AM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
Can air in the the system be causing this pressure and leak?
No, it can not.

You've neglected to tell us the PRESSURE reading on the boiler.

You could well have more than one problem... what it sounds to me is that your PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE, aka AUTOMATIC FILL VALVE, aka lots of other names is not working properly. It is probably 'leaking through' internally.

This valve will be a 'bell shaped' device and be on a pipe between your domestic piping and the boiler piping. Take pictures if you are unsure and we'll ID it for you.

Tell us what the pressure AND temperature reading is. If you see 30 PSI on the gauge, then that's why the relief valve is continuing to leak.

Does your boiler also supply domestic hot water to the home? or do you have stand-alone water heater?