Aquastat selection

Old 11-22-13, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aquastat selection

I have three scenarios which require aquastats.

1. Control operation of an oil fired boiler (disrupt TT) when the supply line of a wood boiler reaches 140degF. I think a 6006A set to 140 with the lowest differential setting (5) wired to terminals R & W will work?

2. Control operation of a fan coil when return line of the coil reaches 130+/- and rises. 6006A set to 130 with the lowest differential setting (5) wired to terminals R & B?

3. I need a freeze protection aquastat to sense low ambient temperature for a Hydro Fan Control unit. Do they make a break on temp rise aquastat with say a 40 degF setpoint so when the pipe temp drops below 40, it can energize the circualtor via the fan control relay?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-13, 04:54 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
1. Control operation of an oil fired boiler (disrupt TT)
You mean that you only want to disable the BURNER, and NOT the entire boiler, correct? You still want to be able to use thermostats, zone valves, pumps, etc, which are now controlled by the boiler controls?

So you are talking about opening the T T terminals on the 'oil burner primary control'?

2. Control operation of a fan coil
This is a pretty standard application for 'hydro-air'. I might suggest a setting of 140 with a bit wider diff, maybe 10 or so.

3. I need a freeze protection aquastat
Why do you need freeze protection? In case fire goes out? If it does, the aquastat in #1 will re-enable the oil burner automatically, and it will take over heating.

In any case, I think for this purpose you might be able to use a cheap thermostat in the area... wired to a relay that will run pumps. Thermostat might only go down to 45F though. There are other controls that you can use I'm sure... but tell us why first.

Old 11-23-13, 08:15 AM
1. I have power going into a SR506 switching relay which powers circs for individual zones. TT contacts signal the boiler. I would like to disable this through the aquastat.

2. I'm installing a Hydro-Air Fan Control unit on both the 1st floor AHU in the basement and the 2nd floor AHU in the attic. The control only starts the FCU when 1.. T-stat calls for heat/cool, and 2... water coil Aquastat is satisfied.
HAFC201-4 - Taco HAFC201-4 - Hydro Air Fan Control w/ Time Delays

3. Freeze protection is optional. I would like to use this on the 2nd floor AHU (in the attic) return line as a precaution to avoid the pipes from freezing. The FCU control will trigger the dry contacts which relay to the switching relay, which in turn start the circ/boiler. I want to use this in lieu of adding glycol to the system. so, I figure 40degF is a safe number. Probably will never be used but it is precautionary.

Old 11-23-13, 09:14 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
1. I have power going into a SR506 switching relay which powers circs for individual zones. TT contacts signal the boiler. I would like to disable this through the aquastat.
OK, you will still have control of the system pumps then because your aquastat is only acting as the control for the burner.

In order to do this, you can wire the R & B terminals of the 6006 in SERIES with the T T connection from the 506 panel to the aquastat. When the woody is moving hot water above setpoint into the boiler, by opening this connection to the aquastat, it won't fire the burner on a heat call.

2. I'm installing a Hydro-Air Fan Control unit
Wiring seems pretty straight forward for that... what is the question exactly?

3. Freeze protection is optional
I think for this use a thermostat is preferable. As I said though, most only go down to 45F ... look into one of the 'Ranco' controls, they have lower set points (can also be used for refrigeration control)...

ETC-111000-000 - Ranco ETC-111000-000 - Single Stage ETC Temperature Control w/ Sensor, 120/240V Input (Includes 8' Cord)

Old 12-13-13, 11:17 AM
Thanks, I've installed their 24V thermostat with the sensing element strapped to the pipe. Set to 40 degF. Time to insulate the pipes!