Similar problem ( air in hot water loop)

Old 12-19-13, 08:05 PM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
Got to love technology btw. We used a GoPro and the GoPro iphone app as our “eyes” for this. Tomorrow I will actually record some of the footage.
I need a GoPro... ohhh SANTA! ....

I'd like to see that footage.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 02:59 PM
I am a happy man!!

I purchased a $17.50 mega pipe wrench at Home Depot today and it actually worked!! With the help of one of my sons we were able to detach the 20yr old Spirovent head. Forget strap wrenches if you have to unscrew something old and fused on like this. Brute force is what it takes apparently. But anywho........the new vent head is installed and it started working from the get go as soon as I repressurized the system a long blast of air was released. Nice. My other one was jacked. It may have worked after a good cleaning but I figured since it's so old, just replace it.

A few pics:

We replaced that inner core as well. The old one was quite rusty. Not sure how much that affects the air-trapping performance.....

Now I have a two-tone Spirovent.

My 19yr old sporting the mega wrench.

Old 12-20-13, 03:11 PM
Worked on a new shim for boosting the height of the in-ceiling pips. Here's a profile shot of the shim. I went with some 3/4" plywood instead of a bulky 2x4.

I'll be installing this sometime tomorrow.

Old 12-20-13, 03:17 PM
I have no clue how much $$$ I'm saving by doing these fixes myself (expansion tank, Spirovent, etc) but I know it's got to be significant. Again, I thank you guys for stepping in to help, especially NJ Trooper.

Old 12-20-13, 03:32 PM
NJT
Definitely a 'manly' wrench! Not bad deal for under 20!

It does take a bit of 'tug' to get them tops off!

There probably won't be enough 'down force' of the wedge against the drywall to cause a problem, but I could envision a 'bulge' forming over time under the wedges.

I might suggest moving them closer to the I-beams... even right up against... one in each bay.

Maybe use two pull strings, one in each direction, so if you need to readjust after they are ALL in place, you can.

Gentler slope on the wedge and you might find that you won't need to fasten them...

OR... how about this idea?

Partially drive a couple screws through the 'sled' so they are sticking out slightly and at a reverse angle to the wedge. Slide that puppy under there, screws sticking out about 1/8" on the bottom will grab the sheetrock... no patching required... sled won't move.

Old 12-20-13, 03:33 PM
NJT
I have no clue how much $$$ I'm saving
I'd say at LEAST $300 ... probably more... enough to pay for that new GoPro that's gonna be under my tree!

Old 12-20-13, 03:49 PM
Wow...great suggestions!!

Love the idea of "cleats" in the shim....brilliant!! And moving them closer to the joists is definitely spot on. I was actually wondering about the weight of the pipe and the possibility that the drywall screws would produce "cratering" if I create too much down force. But you raise a proper point about where the shim should be located (NOT in the middle of the drywall span).

I must be doing something right if I'm thinking along the same lines as a pro. [pats self on back].

Really appreciate this advice. I can't swing a GoPro for you as much as I'd like to. However, Is there a way to chat private?

Old 12-20-13, 03:51 PM
NJT
However, Is there a way to chat private?
There is, but I'm just gonna tell you to "Pay It Forward" !

Old 12-20-13, 03:57 PM
There is, but I'm just gonna tell you to "Pay It Forward" !
You're too kind, sir. Thank you.

Old 12-20-13, 04:13 PM
NJT
You're welcome!

Keep us posted...

Old 12-23-13, 11:54 AM
Taking a couple days off to enjoy the Holidays. Everyone have a wonderful Christmas - hope Santa is nice to y'all!!

Old 12-23-13, 05:55 PM
NJT
Same to you Bryan! Keep us posted on the de-noisification of your system when you get back to it!

Old 12-31-13, 03:13 PM
It's gonna be a quieter 2014 at my house!!!! The wooden wedge worked!! I'm fricken stoked but still keeping my fingers crossed. I just got this done a couple hours ago and so far the majority of noise is GONE! Unbelievable just how much noise an expanding/contracting pipe can make when it's rubbing against part of your house structure. Just unreal.

I installed a couple screws to act as cleats......perfect solution!!

It ain't pretty but then again it is all buried in the ceiling.

A couple videos, compliments of GoPro. The GoPro camera and GoPro App were our eyes for this job. We really felt like surgeons and it was kind of fun actually. LOL.

My son's view from the "feed side" of the room. I was on the other end pulling the wedge towards me and the pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0w20lwMqk The second video follows in the next post.

Last edited by BryanK; 12-31-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 03:20 PM
From my vantage point. I carefully tugged the fish line and sure enough that bugger pipe lifted off of the joist openings in two places that I could see. For now it appears that the pipe is not rubbing at all anywhere near this area. It's 100% silent here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQx6NkrsQYo So there's still some tapping noise at the other end of the house where I suspect it will be a similar problem/solution. THAT noise was never ridiculous like the noise we just fixed. However, now that I have a solution that actually works, I'm eager to try it in another location. Luckily we have recessed lighting all over the lower level, so I will do some inspection work over the next few weeks. For now I am 100% overjoyed to have fixed this crap!! Thanks again for the tips and the help. Everyone have a great New Year!! See y'all next year!!

Old 12-31-13, 03:24 PM
NJT
"Gimmee back my fish line!" ...

Awesome work men!

Sure is a candidate for the most innovative fix to banging pipes yet! IMHO, the clear winner!

Happy QUIET New Year!

Old 12-31-13, 03:45 PM
Thanks NJ Trooper. I would not have been able to do this without your help so again, many thanks for all your input. Very happy that I stumbled across this forum. It's a keeper and I'm sure I will be participating in other threads over time. I hope others can benefit from some of my documentation here. I plan to continue adding tidbits of info as I move along to other parts of the house.

FWIW, I have been calling several boiler contractors over the last month, explaining this noise problem, and so far I've not been able to locate a single company in the Chicagoland area that has any interest in fixing this problem. Then again, it's really NOT a boiler problem is it?