Energy Save On - Should we Disable Outdoor Reset Module on Burnham ES-2?

Old 12-19-13, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it sure would. It also means that your Taco panel is fine.

Set your multimeter to read OHMS and hook onto the hanging endswitch wires.

When there is no call for heat, should be OPEN, INFINITE.

When there is a call for heat and the valve is open, the endswitch wires should read CONTINUITY, CLOSED, ZERO OHMS.

What do you see?

I think you are going to see some resistance, but definitely NOT ZERO. I bet in the K ohm range..

The pump is running "all the time." The circulator is set to run for 5 minutes on the boiler and appears to be making headway in getting the home heated. We were off all day and working our way up from 30 degrees.

The end switch wires at the Taco are still connected to the T-T terminals on the boiler control panel.

I removed the wires from zone valve 3, slot 3 and 4 and jumped them.

During a call for heat and the valve is open on the 2000 scale, the end switch wires show 001 ohms. .5 ohms on the 200 scale.

When there is NO call for heat and the valve is open, the endswitch wires show ZERO OHMS.

The free hanging wires formerly connected to zone valve 3, slot 3 and 4 show 845 ohms on the 2000 scale when heat is being called and the boiler is preparing to fire.

I may be doing something wrong but I'd measured it three times to be certain.

I'm certainly interested in keeping it jumped overnight while we get through the end of this cold snap.

Question: Is there any concern with boiler water getting into the DHW supply during this configuration?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-13, 08:49 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The end switch wires at the Taco are still connected to the T-T terminals on the boiler control panel.

I removed the wires from zone valve 3, slot 3 and 4 and jumped them.
I think I should clarify something...

The TACO has an 'endswitch'.

Each zone valve ALSO has an 'endswitch' and these are the wires that go to 3 & 4 on the zone valve outputs.

There are times when I should clearly state exactly which endswitch I am talking about!

The free hanging wires formerly connected to zone valve 3, slot 3 and 4 show 845 ohms on the 2000 scale when heat is being called and the boiler is preparing to fire.
Those free hanging wires are in fact the ones that I was referring to that I was calling 'endswitch'. I'll try to be more specific in the future...

What you have measured on those free hanging 'endswitch' wires formerly on 3 & 4 clearly indicates a problem with the zone valve 'endswitch'. You should have no 'in between' resistance there. It should be ALL or NONE. ZERO or INFINITE. MAKE or BREAK. Certainly not 845 ohms.

This is the reason the LED is lighting to make us think it's 'all good', but in fact, the 845 ohms allows the RED LED to light, but NOT pull the relay in to fire the boiler.

I'll bet that if you measured it multiple times after the valve opens and closes that you will get a different reading every time.

Old 12-19-13, 08:52 PM
NJT
I'm certainly interested in keeping it jumped overnight while we get through the end of this cold snap.
Do it... keep the family warm! New baby likes WARM!

Question: Is there any concern with boiler water getting into the DHW supply during this configuration?
No, none whatsoever.

Old 12-19-13, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

Thank you NJTrooper! This is huge and my wife can stop giving me dirty looks due to being cold.

There are times when I should clearly state exactly which endswitch I am talking about!
I thought that was the case. You're helping me! Didn't want to waste your time by not answering both what you'd asked and what I believe you mean.

This system is less than 3 years old. I thought there may've been installation issues.

Not to pick on the boiler technicians... They don't seem to have the senior resources or mentors to help them become more proficient with these boilers.

Old 12-20-13, 10:19 AM
NJT
This is huge and my wife can stop giving me dirty looks due to being cold
Happy Wife, Happy Life!

In time you will also learn to let her think that you figured it all out on your own... don't tell her about the help you found on-line... let her think you are her HERO! (I bet she does anyway!)

Not to pick on the boiler technicians... They don't seem to have the senior resources or mentors to help them become more proficient with these boilers.
You're right... it's not always the tech's fault. Some of them WANT to learn... but who are they going to learn from?

Heating used to be relatively tech-free. Most could be learned on the job and that's how it went. Didn't need schools or anything... now a days is a different story...

In order to TROUBLESHOOT one has to understand how it works!