POCO said boiler cracked........

Old 12-04-13, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
POCO said boiler cracked........

Went on a call today... Homeowner had POCO ( Power company) plan. They came because boiler went in runaway mode. Why...??? I am not sure yet and can figure it out...

But Got there ready to install new boiler. Wires inside were jumped left and right from POCO tech trying to get boiler to fire... Steam no less.. Had Roll out jumped... LWCO jumped... Fuse kept blowing on him... Finally told home owner after being there an hour or so boiler was crack and needed replacement...

They quoted him 10K... I kid you not...

When I got there I said what happened? He said boiler would not shut off. It was very hot in house. T stat did nothing. He then went and turned emergency switch off and noticed PSI was at 10 PSI on the gauge...

Turned off emergency switch and he stated gas valve stayed on and kept fireing. He then turned gas off...

Whew!!!!!

I got there and LWCO was clicking repeatedly... Had to read schematic and redo all wiring POCO man left in shambles... Took me a while...

Outcome? I determined at a minimum LWCO was bad. I disconnected from the system to get the boiler to fire... ( I wanted to see if the boiler was truly a leaker)

Boiler fired and let get somewhat hot... Saw no water leakage..... NO leakage... What??? POCO trying to sell stuff?????

OK 10 PSI? Pigtail clogged I was sure... Customer wanted auto feed too... Roll out switch was brown but working... Boiler 20 yrs old...

So LWCO replaced,
Removed pigtail and unclog. ( Was clogged solid)
Site glass was cracked. Cut new glass.
Add auto feed
Replace circ for added zone upstairs.
Had 30 psi relief valve... Changed to 15 psi...( Dont know who did that)

10K poco...1K me... LOL...Was there all day 8 hours, store run and such.
( Im cheap)

Any way its not that I dont believe the homeowner but for the power to be cut and the gas still running I would thing the only way is the selonoid got stuck... But those Honeywell valves from 20 yrs ago were never an issue and never failed from my experience....

I cant figure it out if that indeed happened and am perplexed!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Anyone?

I left, boiler cycled fine and all worked as it should...

It was in a yankee basement... And you all know I dont work on steam....Was a young family with young children and he did not have heat for a week waiting for the POCO to give the estimate for boiler after first guy left.....

His service plan of 10 yrs got him nothing IMO and what he stated...........
Not bashing at all, just there are many inexperienced techs out there regardless what brand they work for... And it seems to me its getting worse. And this was the POCO......

And I have only been away from it since 2009 and am just dipping my feet in again..

OK enough rambling.Only got two pics and sry are not clear... My cell phone is crap

And yes thats copper about 3 ft of it....

Name:  1204131310-00.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  1204131310-01.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  31.5 KB

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-04-13 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-13, 08:46 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Makes me sick... the state of the service industry today...

I dunno... that gas valve scares me... I would probably recommend replacement rather than take the chance.

Old 12-04-13, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
I dunno... that gas valve scares me... I would probably recommend replacement rather than take the chance.
I was thinking about it, but I cant be sure thats what happened right? I have never seen a gas valve stay open like that, and with steam what is the safety feature if it does?

The pig tail is cleared...

LWCO now working...But an auto feed now....???

( My issue is he stated the power was turned off and it kept fireing...???)

IDK....

Old 12-05-13, 09:12 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I was thinking about it, but I cant be sure thats what happened right? I have never seen a gas valve stay open like that, and with steam what is the safety feature if it does?
I would say that at this point it comes down to risk and liability management rather than trying to figure out what happened... why it kept firing... etc...

My issue is he stated the power was turned off and it kept fireing,,,
Did you ask him to show you where he cut the power off? and then verify that it actually DID cut the power? No chance of a 'dual 120 feed' sneaking in there somehow?

Old 12-05-13, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Did you ask him to show you where he cut the power off?
Yes...LOL. That big red switch on the side of the boiler..

Nope no dual feed...

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-05-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-05-13, 10:31 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I have encountered a 24-V gas valve that stuck open. With that situation for a hot-water boiler, the one last salvation is the relief valve opening and the pressure reducing valve continuing to feed water to the boiler. That's if the house is unoccupied - if somebody is home, they will know something is wrong if the inside temp keeps rising and the basement fills with steam. A back-up hi-hi aquastat won't help.

But even if the house is unoccupied, and the circulator is running, the boiler probably would not overheat, but all your candles might be melted. But, if your circulator is controlled, for example, by zone valves or a wall thermostat, the pump might not be running. Bad scene.

Old 12-05-13, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
A back-up hi-hi aquastat won't help.
Its steam Gil, with one zone piped with a circ and baseboard. The rest of the house is steam.

Old 12-05-13, 11:06 AM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Lawrosa,
Just a thought.
It sounds like you checked out all possible reasons for the open gas valve and as the owner said he shut the boiler switch off.
Do you think it's possible the boiler switch could be defective, working erradically. I know I've had some in the past. It seems to fly under the radar because there seldom used or tested unless there's a problem with the boiler.
Could have been something as simple as a stuck switch.

Old 12-05-13, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Do you think it's possible the boiler switch could be defective, working erradically.
Did not think of that....That is a possibility I assume...

Old 12-05-13, 11:15 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Its steam
OK, that makes a stuck-open gas valve worse, I guess.

I thought that some modern 24-V gas valves have two, redundant valves built in - but I didn't find them online. That would be ideal.

My original boiler setup had two gas valves in series - one for the standing pilot and one for the main burner. I replaced the pilot valve with a modern, combination pilot/main valve because it took an odd-ball thermocouple thread. I left in the original main valve, so now I have two redundant 24-V solenoid valves in series.