Help with flow check and reducing valve??!!?

Old 12-08-13, 10:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with flow check and reducing valve??!!?

Hello everyone,
I need some help with checking a flow check and reducing valve on my boiler..
I have an older B&G model B-3 reducing valve and a Watts 2000S model M5 flow check. 3 zone system, 1 st floor, 2 nd floor and indirect SuperStor DHW.

Yesterday, with the thermostat OFF (thermostat was verified to be working properly), the CI rads in the dining room and kitchen (first 2 in line off the feed of the boiler, system is piped in a monoflo system) were hot, so after some research, I think that the flow check was not "closing" and allowing the heated water to flow to the 2 rads like a gravity feed. I turned the reducing valve down (or so I thought) to try to lower the pressure to try to get it to stop. This morning, the pressure relief valve on the boiler had opened up over night and spewed water on the floor. So maybe I went the wrong way with the reducing valve? I've seen 2 different set of instructions on wether it goes clockwise or Counter clockwise to reduce pressure- does anyone know which direction it actually is? (EDIT: After some further research, it seems that it should go Counter Clockwise to Reduce....and last night I did adjust it clockwise...this morning I re-adjusted it counter clockwise, I'll see how that works for now.)

And anyone have any thoughts on the flow check (which the screw adjustment on top is verified to be closed)?

Also, my presure gauge on the boiler is broken so I have no means of using that to verify my pressures today and cannot get to the hardware store to get what I need to do it today....but I know I need to replace the gauge~!

PS- Also, a stupid question, the schrader valve on the bottom of the air expansion tank (Amtrol tank) has a red rubber plug on it as well (under the screw cap)? ok to pull that out to properly check the pressure? I didnt dare to do it without further knowledge just in case....cause my luck, it would cause the thing to open up and just let go~!

Attached Images   

Last edited by sp10ez; 12-08-13 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Correction...
Old 12-08-13, 04:39 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I turned the reducing valve down (or so I thought) to try to lower the pressure to try to get it to stop.
Of course you know now that was the wrong thing to do, not only the fact that you turned it the wrong way, but that adjusting that would have been NO HELP whatsoever if you have a sticky flow check valve.

anyone have any thoughts on the flow check (which the screw adjustment on top is verified to be closed)?
They do 'stick' from time to time. Sometimes all it takes to unstick them is a smart 'rap', or opening and closing it a few times. Worst case, replacement.

but I know I need to replace the gauge~!
Yes, you do. Or until you can do that, put together one you can screw on drain valve.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

the schrader valve on the bottom of the air expansion tank (Amtrol tank) has a red rubber plug on it as well (under the screw cap)? ok to pull that out to properly check the pressure?
Never seen that myself. It was a metal screw cap on the bottom? Is it possible that the 'gasket' from the cap got stuck to the valve? Can you show us a picture?

As far as checking the pressure, you are working off the step-by-step instructions in the 'sticky' post, correct? You understand that you need to have the boiler at ZERO pressure to adjust the tank, right?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Old 12-08-13, 05:12 PM
S
Hey NJ, once again thank you...

Of course you know now that was the wrong thing to do, not only the fact that you turned it the wrong way, but that adjusting that would have been NO HELP whatsoever if you have a sticky flow check valve.
Yes, but my thought was by decreasing the pressure AND by rapping on it a few times would allow it to "fall" closed again at least for the weekend until I have a chance to do the gauge this week, just got home from the hospital so I haven't had time to fully address these.... Also I went by what I saw online about the direction to decrease, and with almost everything else in the world, righty tighty, tighty being closed in my mind..

Yes, you do. Or until you can do that, put together one you can screw on drain valve.
Yes I know, I have the tee and the gauge, just need the 1/2" threaded fitting adapter to screw the gauge into....again time restraints

Never seen that myself. It was a metal screw cap on the bottom? Is it possible that the 'gasket' from the cap got stuck to the valve? Can you show us a picture?

As far as checking the pressure, you are working off the step-by-step instructions in the 'sticky' post, correct? You understand that you need to have the boiler at ZERO pressure to adjust the right?
No it's a plastic screw cap...pictures attached. And yes I was merely checking the pressure not adjusting it just yet, or should I say I was planning to when I installed the gauge....anyway, I didn't want to just pull the rubber off, with my luck, it'll cause an even bigger issue, at least not without someone who knows actually saying it would be ok lol

Attached Images    

Last edited by sp10ez; 12-08-13 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 06:10 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
That goes inside the blue cap. Just pull it off. I've never seen them get stuck but it did.
Pry it off and expose the valve.

Old 12-08-13, 06:29 PM
S
Thanks spott, I just wanted to be sure.

Old 12-08-13, 06:32 PM
NJT
I've never seen them get stuck
No, me neither, but I DO see some corrosion around the red gasket and the schrader ... so that's telling me that there MIGHT be a problem with the tank. It MIGHT have some water on the air side, and the schrader valve MIGHT be leaking a bit, thus water getting in there...

There's another possible explanation though... if this is mounted under an air scoop, and the air vent on top of the air scoop is/was leaking, that water could have dripped down, run down the side of the tank and across the bottom, getting inside that cap and causing that corrosion.

SP10, I know we've 'met' before, I haven't looked back to see what we helped you with the last time... so forgive me if I repeat something I've told you before!

Old 12-10-13, 10:50 AM
S
Hey NJ,
Thanks, havent check the air pressure yet on the tank, but the "knock test" does sound hollow, and you are absolutely right about the air vent/ air scoop, at one time i did open it up and i do remeber water dripping down the tank and onto my arm~! So yes, good guess, as I would almost agree with you on that... But i didnt dare pull off the rubber plug to find out that it was holding something together in there lol...
And yes, you had helped me with the 2nd floor loop, with CI rads and slant fin bb, monoflow issue... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...nt-fin-bb.html
My wife has since given birth to our daughter, so I havent had a chance to go back an re-address the issue or repair...

Old 12-10-13, 03:06 PM
NJT
My wife has since given birth to our daughter
CONGRATS! I hope Mother and Baby are fine!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: