how i silenced my hydronic heating system

Old 12-10-13, 03:58 PM
_
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how i silenced my hydronic heating system

Many complain about noisy hydronic heating systems. When we moved into our new house ours was not an exception. It was loud and sported thundering rumble, mini explosion and crackling type of noises. It was waking up our brand new baby and that was severely cramping my ability to chill and drink beer peacefully.

There is some information regarding how to address the problem on this forum, some on internet and tried it to some degree of success but it didnít address all of it. So here is a bit more extra steps that I came up with that completely silenced it.

1. Rubbing against wall/floor openings. This a very typical problem that has a simple solution. When pipes touch the opening they could rub against the edges when they expand/contract during heating/cooling cycles. Separation from the edge will fix it Ė either shim it with piece of plastic cut from the milk bottle if pipe is tight against the opening, or put a sleeve of rubber pipe insulation around the pipe or in between.

2. Rubbing against something deep inside of the wall/floor. This one is a killer. Short of opening the wall/floor itís hard to fix it. After a lot of trying I found the solution. It might not work for everyone, but I was lucky. I found that if I push on the exposed pipe in a certain direction then it goes away from what it rubs against deep inside of the floor! So while I donít even know where exactly the rubbing takes place I can still fix it by manipulating the pipe that I see/can reach. I put a screw with an eye into a floor, looped a zip ties around the pipe and pulled it to the screw. That one fix made huge difference!

3. Last 2 springs I had something called ďkettleingĒ going on. Due to mineral deposits in my boiler water was spot over-heating that caused a sound of mini explosions reverberating thru the house. I fixed that by doing a chemical wash/flush of the boiler. It seemed to help, but I need to verify it next spring. I have a post regarding this problem on this forum with some more info.

4. The only noise that left at this point was a crackling sound of fins rubbing against something. The heat emitters rest on small plastic brackets that sit on top of support inside of the baseboards. I think the purpose of those plastic brackets to actually eliminate any crackling noise, but it was not working for me. So I removed them one at a time and hung the emitters from the top of the supports using zip ties. So now the pipe and the fins hang from supports instead of resting on the supports.

The last fix made is completely silent to the point that I had to touch it to make sure itís working. Hopefully someone will find this info helpful. Be careful moving the pipes much. If you break a weak joint somewhere donít blame me!

Last edited by NJT; 12-10-13 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-13, 04:32 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Good info Diver! Thanks for posting... This might make a suitable 'sticky' post... with your permission?

The only thing I might add to this is that I'm not sure about the durability of the zip ties in relation to the heat of the piping. I do suspect that over time the nylon will dry out, crack and crumble. I might suggest that suitable WIRE be used for these 'hangers'.

Very often the milk carton shims between the stock shim and the baseboard can also help.

If you do a search of the forum and find your 'kettling' thread, post the URL of that thread here and I'll incorporate it into your posting at appropriate location.

Old 12-10-13, 05:19 PM
_
NJ Trooper, if you think this is suitable for sticky I'm all for it. I hope it helps someone..

Here is my original thread on kettling

Some additional info here

And here how I actually did the flush without draining much water or adding new air.

Old 12-10-13, 05:47 PM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Expansion noises aren't the same as kittling.

Old 12-10-13, 05:56 PM
D
I'm a bit disappointed. I saw the title of the thread and thought I would read something involving an AR-15. Oh well. At least you got things fixed anyway! Well done!

Old 12-10-13, 05:56 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Expansion noises aren't the same as kittling.
No, they aren't... but he's not saying that?

OK Diver, I'm going to work on the post just a wee bit... take some editorial license here and there... (I actually already did!) ... and 'stick' it in the next couple days.

Anyone has any suggestions for improvement, I'm all ears!

Old 12-10-13, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
The only noise that left at this point was a crackling sound of fins rubbing against something.
I like that noise... Even with my low 150f temps it still does it with all the plastic supports installed properly on the newer baseboard covers...

My old baseboard had metal supports and they , or the ones with them that I reused, do not make the crackle.

Rubbing against wall/floor openings
When I did the mc mansions back in the day when the risers for the basboard was installed we, would drill the hole larger through the floor and install armaflex around the pipe... Never a noise....

But would be hard to retro fit if the original plumber did not do this....

waking up our brand new baby and that was severely cramping my ability to chill and drink beer peacefully.
If you drank my homemade beer you would not hear the baby, because after 1 or 2 you would be sleeping like a baby......