Halp! Backward valves and compression fitting woes

Old 12-14-13, 01:03 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Even looking at the big photo, I can't see any evidence of there being a tapping there by the circ... it looks as if the sheet metal is cut away for one, but the angle of the photo may be hiding it.

So yeah, if there's a tapping there for a vent, that's where one should go.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-13, 01:14 PM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Illegal,
No matter which way you go you only bleed 1 zone at a time and the more pressure you have the better.
Get it up to 25 or 28 lbs. as long as the relief valve doesn't let go.
When your done purging just drain excess water to get to desired pressure.

Old 12-14-13, 01:23 PM
NJT
Where could I buy a spirovent in town?
Ummmm... I guess Middletown Plumbing Supply might have one! oh wait, that's about a 1500 mile drive for you... never mind!

Yeah, let it run for a while...

Did you ever tell me if the vent cap on top of the air vent was loose or not?

Make sure it is. That vent in that location won't do a damn thing when water if being pumped, but when the system is NOT pumping you MAY get some air up out of the boiler and into the vent.

Old 12-14-13, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Even looking at the big photo, I can't see any evidence of there being a tapping there by the circ... it looks as if the sheet metal is cut away for one, but the angle of the photo may be hiding it.

So yeah, if there's a tapping there for a vent, that's where one should go.
Its there... All the weils have them there... If the plumber fails to cap it he will know when he trys to fill the boiler...!!!

I have done it may times...

There has to be a nipple and cap behind the pump that we cant see... Its the only way to plug that tapping as there is no nipple pre installed...

Old 12-14-13, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
What amuses me is the weils come with that temp/psi gauge and a tee just for it... I always put on the feed side of course... I cant believe the installer actually put it on the return...

Well heck I guess its not too shocking... Look where they put the air vent....!!!!!!!And there was a perfectly good tapping for one... I wonder what they thought that tapping was for?????

Old 12-15-13, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After asking "why did they do it this way?" over 1000x since I bought this house I've just given up trying to figure out why things were done the way they were done.

Yes the air vent cap is loose.

Final update, everything is working great but I noticed a considerable amount of air in the system this morning. Hooked the garden hose up to the drain, ran it outside and let each zone flush at 24psi for 5-10 minutes. There's now an ice rink for small woodland creatures. The only time you can hear the system now is when it fires up, this is freaking amazing!!! Much thanks, I'd buy ya all a beer if I could.

Old 12-15-13, 10:55 AM
NJT
noticed a considerable amount of air in the system this morning. Hooked the garden hose up to the drain, ran it outside and let each zone flush at 24psi for 5-10 minutes
You should realize that each time you do this you start back at 'square one' on the air removal cycle, correct?

Remember that fresh water carries with it a whole new pant load of dissolved AIR... and that as soon as you start heating that water all that air comes out and forms new bubbles... and your system has to start all over removing that new air... so that activity is actually COUNTER-productive.

PURGING as such should really only be done when the system is filled initially, after draining for service and refilling, and in cases where the primary air removal system has failed and enough air has collected in the zones to stop flow completely. After that, the job is up to the air removal, and what you have there isn't going to do much for you.

You really should consider adding a proper air removal device. The best location for it would seem to be that horizontal section of return pipe before it turns downward and goes back to the boiler.

Also, look for the tapping that Mike pointed out and install an air vent there as well. In fact, just get rid of that one above the pump... it really is useless.