Wiring question L8148E and Beckett Heat Manager

Old 12-12-13, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring question L8148E and Beckett Heat Manager

Hello, I recently installed a Beckett heat manager to my Honeywell L8148E aquastat and it has been a great help with the short cycling problem that I was experiencing. My boiler is a 5 year old Lennox cast iron boiler running 3 zones off of zone valves. I am now getting typical burn times in the 7-8 minutes time frame versus the old 2 minute times. I guess that it remains to be seen if this will actually save me anything on my gas bill, but it should certainly cut down the wear and tear on my boiler.

The question that I have is, when the Heat manager goes into the economizing mode, my automatic vent damper opens up. It will then stay in economizing mode for however many minutes that it needs to and the burner will fire. Is there any way to wire this so that the vent damper does not open when it goes into economizing mode and only opens when the burner is actually ready to fire? That way, the boiler could retain more of its heat and extend the economizing time.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-13, 12:38 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Did you wire according to diagram in the install manual?

Can you find a link to the install manual so we can look at it and advise?

Old 12-12-13, 01:20 PM
Yes , I wired it according to the install manual here: http://s3.pexsupply.com/product_files/7512-install.pdf

Also, here is the manual for the L8148E: http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1350..._PROD_FILE.pdf

Thanks for looking at it!

Old 12-12-13, 02:17 PM
NJT
Your damper is plugged into the Molex connector in the 8148E ?

Can you determine the 4 digit suffix of your 8148? It may be on the label inside the cover, it may be stamped in black ink on the side panels, it may be on the rear facing the boiler... you will need a mirror and be able to read backwards...

Old 12-12-13, 02:39 PM
Yes, the damper is plugged into the Molex connector in the L8148E 1257.

Mine is the L8148E 1257 which I believe is a part # made for Burnham boilers? My understanding is that it is the same as the L8148E 1265 except that mine has a temperature range of 140-240 and the 1265 has a temperature range of 180-240

Old 12-12-13, 04:37 PM
NJT
Referring to Fig. 6 in the 8148 manual:

I don't see a reason that you can not disconnect the HeatMangler from the B1 and burner wires, reconnect the burner wire to the B1 terminal, remove the wire that is on the "R" terminal of the high limit switch in the aquastat and connect the YELLOW wire from the HeatMangler to that terminal, then connect the RED wire from the HeatMangler to the wire that was removed from the "R" terminal.

I want to add this caution and disclaimer:

Just because I can't see a reason doesn't mean that there ISN'T one, so you must take this for what it's worth, proceed with caution, make your own decision as to the course you will follow, and neither I nor the forum hosts can be held liable for any damages or consequences arising from the use or misuse of this information!

Remember, the damper will still stay open for something like 2-3 minutes after the burner is told to shut off, and there's nothing you can do, nor WANT to do about that.

Old 12-16-13, 12:28 PM
NJ Trooper - Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this for me. I took a look at the aquastat schematic and I think that what you are proposing will probably work. But, I'm afraid of screwing something up if it doesn't work. And at this time of year with the really cold weather we have had, I don't want to be without heat.

I may give it a try near the end of the heating season. Thanks again!

Old 12-16-13, 01:00 PM
NJT
Caution is good...

I'm really quite certain that it will do what you want, but I guess I question what you would be looking to achieve. If it's closing that damper for that little extra 'pinch' of fuel savings, I'm not sure I would bother rewiring it at all. I honestly don't think that what you might save for the few extra moments of that damper being closed is worth the trouble.