oil furnace not kicking on...

Old 12-12-13, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil furnace not kicking on...

Hi Everyone
I am new to message boards and threads so please bare with me. I have a becket fha oil furnace in a mobile home. I got a delivery of oil yesterday and bled the lines. The furnace ran fine all night and half of today. I turned the thermostat down to conserve my oil and now the furnace will not kick on. I have tried bleeding it again, no luck. The motor starts but it seems like its not lighting as it shuts off after a few seconds and I have to hit the reset and try again. I pulled the button to see if the blower would come on for the fresh air cycle and that works fine. I am at a loss and a single parent with a small child on a fixed income, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time
Wendy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-13, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Moved post to own thread wendy... Someone will respond shortly....

Old 12-12-13, 04:49 PM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Wendy,
If you bled the pump and got a steady stream of oil you could possibly have an ignition problem.
The first thing you DO NOT want to do is to keep pressing the reset button.
Every time it restarts but does not fire it pumps oil into the chamber. You will a firebox saturated with unburned oil that when is finally ignited will catch fire and could possibly come back at you or cause a chimney fire.
You have a transformer that sends electricity to a set of electrodes which lights the oil as it comes out of the nozzle.
When you don,t get fire but do get oil it's a problem with the transformer or electrodes and you should call in a professional.
I can appreciate your situation but it could be dangerous unless experienced.

Good Luck,

Old 12-12-13, 06:07 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with Spott...

If you had a 'run out' of oil, it's also possible that some sludge got sucked up from the bottom of the tank and has fouled the filters, screens, and/or the nozzle.

Unfortunately I don't think that you have much choice here...