Pilot relite not working and part is obsolete

Old 12-14-13, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot relite not working and part is obsolete

I see an old thread from 2009 regarding a White-Rodgers pilot relite 5029-21 that is no longer made. I have a similar problem - 5029-21 no longer made. The strange thing is that if I pull the pilot relite a bit away from the panel it's mounted on, I'll get a spark. I suspect that my ground is bad. Anyone know how I can check and fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-13, 05:56 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I suspect that my ground is bad. Anyone know how I can check and fix it?
Visually Jerry... if you check all the ground connections and see any corrosion or anything, you need to remove the ground clean up the metal parts with sandpaper, steel wool... and reassemble.

Basically just make sure everything is clean and tight as far as the grounds go.

You might have something else going on there though... but start by checking ALL the electrical connections. Get your strongest bifocals and a bright light.

Old 12-14-13, 06:25 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I had one of those pilot relight kits - and gave up on it. I just go with my standing pilot, which is very reliable after I positioned the pilot flame correctly onto the thermocouple probe. When your house is unoccupied, there is no substitute for having a neighbor check things every day or so. I (and my neighbor) can check our inside temp over the internet.

Old 12-14-13, 07:45 PM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
5059-23 - White Rodgers 5059-23 - Pilot Relite Control, 1/4" Spade Terminals, 24V Input, 1/4" Spade Terminal High Voltage Connection

W.R. 5059-23 replacement for 5059-21

They have a Q & A and that same question was asked and answer was yes.

[PLEASE NOTE: poster stated that the part in his boiler is a 5029-21 ... not a 5059-21 , but perhaps this was a typo in Jerry's original message?]

Last edited by NJT; 12-15-13 at 09:44 AM.