becket transformer gasket

Old 12-15-13, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi

My transformer is missing the mounting screws on the side opposite the hinge, could this cause an air leak and possibly a puff back at ignition? It is the old style large transformer and it's own weight is holding it down on the electrodes. The Burner rumbles sometimes at ignition and I also get smoke odor when this happens.

Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-13, 03:02 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Bob,

That should be as airtight as possible. Air leaks around the transformer can cause combustion problems. You should replace the gasket and find some screws that will work to hold it closed.

I believe this is the gasket you need... don't think the screws come with, but you should be able to find sheet metal screws that work...

Patriot Supply - 51304

Old 12-15-13, 03:04 PM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Bob,
The puff back is coming because of a delay in ignition. The oil & spark are suppose to meet at the same time when firing. If the spark is late then you get a puff back or rumblings which is the unburned oil igniting.

Those old transformers are heavy enough that I doubt that it would cause it unless it's not making proper contact with the electrodes. If it's one that has cables that could be your problem.
Those transformers can be tested.

What's more likely happening is a weak transformer, or misaligned or bad electrodes.
You can get a couple of screws to fix it or duck tape the gap but you'll probably still have the problem.

Do you have your burner serviced regularly?

Old 12-15-13, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply,s spott and trooper

Ill try a new gasket and screws and see if that stops it . The burner had never done this before the last tech worked on it.I think he must have forgotten to put the screws back and also forgot to put the weight back on the damper for the draft control as it was also missing .

Thanks Bob

Old 12-15-13, 03:36 PM
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Bob,
If he's that thorough, if that doesn't work and he had the assembly out to change the nozzle he may hay have misaligned the electrodes also.

Just curious if he did an efficiency test without the damper weight how did he adjust the draft.

It sounds like they sent the the second string.

Old 12-15-13, 04:06 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It sounds like they sent the the second string.
Sounds like he had a ball of string for a brain!

"with the thoughts that I've been thinkin', I could be another Lincoln, if I only had a brain..."