Burnham V8H4 vs Weil-McClain WTGO4 vs Peerless WBV/WV-04

Old 12-16-13, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham V8H4 vs Weil-McClain WTGO4 vs Peerless WBV/WV-04

Since, my Burnham V74 leaked (cracked) I am in to replace the furnace. It is slow leak when furnace runs. Leak stops when furnace stops firing.

All three are 4-section boilers to heat 2800sqf space and has tankless coil for hot water supply. Cost to replace is about 6k to 7k. These are all from oil-supply company in this area.

I looked at 3-pass boilers. They are charging more for boiler and there is an external water tank required. So, this is more expensive option.

Any opinion? Appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-13, 08:41 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
All three are 4-section boilers
For 2800 sq ft I would think that you would only need a THREE SECTION boiler... around 70K BTUH output. Is contractor quoting the 4 section without doing a heat loss estimate in order to properly size the replacement boiler?

Old 12-16-13, 03:46 PM
Since existing boiler is a 4-section, I preferred to stay with 4-section. No contractor ever offered the heat loss estimate to size the replacement. May be I can do the calculation if I know the steps or direction. With 3-section, what will I be saving? Cost of a new furnace? Less fuel consumption? Less maintenance?
How about heating the house if more than 1-zone demands? Or taking shower at the same time zone is demanding? Will 3-section be good enough to keep it up? Or furnace will have to run frequent and longer? Just a curious about these possibilities.

Old 12-16-13, 04:03 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes, you can and should do the heat-loss calc yourself. Get the Slant/Fin program (link in one of this forum's stickies).

Or furnace will have to run frequent and longer?
Actually, if your boiler is sized correctly, it will run continuously at design ambient conditions. If you use the Slant/Fin program, a margin will be built in.

A boiler is unlike a horse. A boiler is designed to run full-bore indefinitely. It never gets tired or overheated. A horse would soon drop dead

Old 12-16-13, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Did you try the stop leak to get you through the winter?

Heres your other post for reference...

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ml#post2201189

Here is the heat loss calc....

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...alculator.html

Old 12-18-13, 05:59 AM
We had a sever cold December so far this year in north-east. Fortunately, warm temperature is coming, at least for time being. A slow leak is still there. It leaked about a cup of water in 24hr when outside temp is around 10 to 15f and that is because furnace runs more often. Leak stops soon after firing stops. I am not sure if I can make through the winter with this furnace. Its hairline crack for about an inch long.

As I mentioned in other post, putting liquid-sealer will require to modify the piping, something I can't do.

Old 12-18-13, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
putting liquid-sealer will require to modify the piping, something I can't do.
I never saw pics of your system but you can add to possibly a boiler drain with a transfer pump....

Old 12-18-13, 07:00 AM
Here is the picture of boiler and plumbing. Thanks.

Attached Images