Problem/Boiler cuts out when starting - need help

Old 12-17-13, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem/Boiler cuts out when starting - need help

I have a older Benjamin oil fired boiler that has developed a problems upon firing up. Now it pumps oil into the chamber for what seems too long of a time before it either trips the controller or if it does ignite it causes a bit of an explosion due to what I believe is the amount of fuel that has been injected into the chamber.
Not knowing very much about this Im thinking it maybe the transformer but not sure because it's intermittent, more tripping than firing however so I was wondering if there is a way of testing this before I go out and buy a new one? If it matters it utilizes a Beckett burner and transformer with a Honeywell controller.
Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-13, 10:08 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
May I ask when was the last time that you had the burner serviced... meaning nozzle changed, electrodes adjusted, filters changed, combustion adjusted... chamber brushed and vacuumed... ?

Old 12-17-13, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I bought this thing used so I have no idea. What if anything can I do to pin point the problem as it was working what seemed like fine when I first started it up this year.
It has new filters and I cleaned the combustion chamber when I installed it.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-13, 11:12 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What if anything can I do
It's well beyond the scope of the forum to teach all the steps needed to properly maintain the burner. Even if we did try to explain it all, there is so much room for failure...

Basically, there are quite a few things that can cause the condition you are describing. Yes, the transformer is one possible cause, but so is a clogged strainer screen or oil filter, low oil pressure setting, misadjusted electrodes, clogged or otherwise defective nozzle...

It would be in your best interest to call a technician to service the burner. If he's a nice guy and you are cool about it, he may pass along some of his knowledge to you.