Knocking noise

Old 12-19-13, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Knocking noise

I have a 15 years old burnham v7 oil fired boiler. Lately,when the thermostat calls for heat,there is this loud bang coming from the pipes. Last night,while the boiler was not on, i heard water running in the pipe.....like a wave...what could be the problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-13, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi and welcome...

Can you post pics of your boiler?

Banging could be thermal expansion...but could be other things..

Air in lines denotes something is amiss... low water/pressure level, air device not working, faulty aquastat...etc...

What does the temp and pressure gauge read on the boiler?

Old 12-20-13, 06:16 AM
I think the problem is a lack of water in the system. The pressure reducing valve has not been working for a while. I have been feeding the boiler manually and close the valve when the pressure reaches 12 to 15 lbs. Lately i have to do it every other day. I can not find any leak in the system to justify the loss of pressure/water. Where the water is going?

Here are some pictures of the system..

Old 12-20-13, 08:57 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The pressure reducing valve has not been working for a while. I have been feeding the boiler manually and close the valve when the pressure reaches 12 to 15 lbs. Lately i have to do it every other day. I can not find any leak in the system to justify the loss of pressure/water. Where the water is going?
This constant feed of water is causing a high concentration of minerals in the boiler water... this is a bad thing...

Worse though is that whether or not you can 'see' a leak, it would seem that you do have one. There's really not other way to lose pressure, is there?

It could be leaking INSIDE the boiler and going up the chimney as STEAM...

Old 12-20-13, 10:33 AM
What can i do to remedy the problem for now?

Old 12-20-13, 04:37 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can't advise much on exactly HOW to do it, perhaps Lawrosa will be along to offer some suggestions, but it would seem that if you can't see a leak anywhere the only place it could really be is inside the boiler... and if it is, short of replacing the boiler, it would seem that boiler stop leak would be the best chance you have of getting through the winter with a cracked boiler.