honeywell l8148j1009 aquastat not working 10 degrees out

Old 12-21-13, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
honeywell l8148j1009 aquastat not working 10 degrees out

Hi I have a Honeywell l8148j aquastat that has stopped working. I have a 24v system with a standing pilot and 2 zones. I am measuring 24v at t and tv when one of my zone valves call for heat but its not firing the burner or pump. When I trip the switching relay manually with a piece of cardboard the burner and pump come on normally and the high/low limit switch works fine. Is there a way to test the switching relay or replace it or do I need to replace the whole aquastat. also im keeping the cardboard in the relay and turning the system on and off by shutting power to the aquastat don't think this is hurting anything but any advice will help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-13, 05:24 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Stephen,

I am measuring 24v at t and tv when one of my zone valves call for heat but its not firing the burner or pump.
When a zone valve is calling for heat you should NOT have 24V at T and TV, you should have ZERO VOLTS.

You should only have 24VAC at T and TV when there is NO HEAT CALL.

I know it sounds backwards, but trust me, it is so.

If a zone valve opens and T and TV do NOT go to zero, the problem is either with the zone valve or the wiring.

Are BOTH of the zones acting the same way? That would be very odd for them BOTH to go bad at the same time.

You can prove that the aquastat is working by touching a piece of wire across the T and TV terminals. The boiler should fire up when you do that.

BE CAREFUL! THERE IS EXPOSED 120VAC INSIDE THAT AQUASTAT! YOU CAN BE KILLED IF YOU TOUCH THE WRONG THING!

Tell us what kind of zone valves...

And try BOTH of them to see if they are both acting the same.

turning the system on and off by shutting power to the aquastat don't think this is hurting anything
Probably not hurting anything... but definitely a 'hack' and I have to go on record to say "don't do that", but you gotta do what you gotta do, right? You need heat!

Last edited by NJT; 12-21-13 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-21-13, 05:55 PM
Thanx for the fast replay ran a wire across t tv the aquastat works fine so when a zone calls for heat it grounds t and tv? my other zone is in the basement not turned up very high. my zone vavle is a white Rodgers 13s16 102 how do I test the valve or test my thermostat. figured it was a hack turning my system on and off but its late and snowing wifes pissed

Old 12-21-13, 06:00 PM
NJT
so when a zone calls for heat it grounds t and tv?
No, not exactly.

The zone valves have what is called an 'ENDSWITCH' inside them. When the valve opens, the endswitch closes and shorts the T and TV together. That's why it's 'opposite' logic.

my other zone is in the basement not turned up very high
So go turn it up and see what happens!

Need to know the answer to this because what happens with the other zone will direct the troubleshooting. If they BOTH don't work, we need to go in one direction, if only ONE doesn't work, we go another.

More on the zone valve tests after I hear about the basement zone.

Old 12-21-13, 06:07 PM
NJT
I would also like you to operate the 'manual / auto' lever on the zone valve.

When you push the lever to MANUAL OPEN, the boiler should turn on.

Try BOTH of the valves, one at a time.

Old 12-21-13, 06:15 PM
my basement zone valve works fine it turn the burner in and off. the upstairs valve opens and closes when the themostat is turned up or down but is not firing the burner

Old 12-21-13, 06:34 PM
NJT
Although I think the problem is with the endswitch in the valve itself, check the wiring on the black leads coming out to make sure it's not just a bad connection.

I've never worked with these valves... and right now I am looking to see if replacement heads are available for them... with no luck so far.

Other very similar valves DO have replacement parts available but I can't find any at my usual suppliers.

You can get a replacement MOTOR, but that's not the problem with yours. It's the endswitch that's the problem.

Does it act the same when you manually open the valve with the lever? no boiler fire?

Old 12-21-13, 06:46 PM
NJT
The only replacement parts I can find for that valve series is the motor and it is a discontinued part at some of the suppliers.

I'm afraid that unless you can find part numbers on the endswitch part itself and can locate a replacement from other sources (like digi-key.com or mouser.com) and are not afraid to take the valve apart to get to the switch (it is probably riveted in and not be easily replaceable) then your only choice of a fix is to replace the entire valve.

If you do replace the valve, go with a Honeywell V8043E1012 ... that you can get replacement heads for and not have to drain the system to repair in the future.

Here's a link to the manual for your valve:

http://s3.pexsupply.com/product_file...structions.pdf

and what I would replace it with:

V8043E1012 - Honeywell V8043E1012 - 3/4" Sweat Zone Valve - PexSupply.com

Old 12-21-13, 06:52 PM
NJT
There's one last thing you can try... it might work, it might not...

Get a can of spray contact cleaner. DE-OXIT GOLD is a good one. Radio Shack used to carry it, but don't know if they do any longer. If you have a 'Guitar Center' in town try to find it there.

On Amazon:

Amazon.com: CAIG Laboratories DeoxIT Gold: Electronics

Take the motor assembly off the top of the valve to get better access to the endswitch. Spray the crap out of it trying to get the stuff INSIDE the switch. Any little opening you can find, stick the tube in and try to force it inside.

You might get lucky ...

Old 12-21-13, 06:52 PM
thanx got it checked the end switch like you said and the switch had come loose off the assembly when I put the alignment pins back into the body the burner fired up. the valves in a bad spot I cant tell if a couple of screws fell out or what. I used the piece of card board from the aquastat to hold the switch in and it work fine for now. Yes I know its a hack but I got heat so until I can get a new valve it will do thanx for your help I have never posted to this site but i have scearched this site before and I will recommend this to friends thanx again

Old 12-21-13, 07:11 PM
NJT
Great!

Hope the wife thinks you are a genius instead of being all pizzed off!

Maybe a spot of epoxy will hold the switch in place forever? Ya never know!

Stay warm!

Old 12-21-13, 07:17 PM
Yeah shes happy good idea got some killer 2 part at work thanx