bleeding the radiators (oil/hot water system)

Old 10-26-13, 06:10 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bleeding the radiators (oil/hot water system)

need to bleed the radiators, i did read the "how to" article on this but still have a few questions?

my system heats a smaller single story home, the boiler pumps hot water out to a "T" where it goes on to feed 4 old cast iron type radiators in series on each side of the house (8 radiators total, 4 on each side, 2 independent legs simultaneously being supplied from the "T") there is also a circulation pump in the system.

1)does the system need to be on and water in circulation during the process?

2)if circulation is not necessary should the system be hot or cold? does it matter?

3)which radiator should be done first? the one farthest from the boiler or the one closest?

4)which leg should be done first? i am assuming based on the system layout it does not matter

thank you for the help

Old 10-26-13, 06:20 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
I would leave the pump off. The rest don't matter.

But, a question. Why are you needing to bleed the system? How did air get into it? Are you not getting heat everywhere? As long as the system is pressurized, which it always should be except for major maintenance, air shouldn't get in - unless you have a leak and air-bound water is continually being fed.

Old 10-26-13, 08:13 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I might add that you may need to bleed a few times if there is a lot of air in the system.

I would actually bleed first with the pump OFF as Gil said, and after the system has 'rested' for an hour or two, and then run the pump and bleed again with the pump running, and then let it 'rest' again for an hour or so (to let the bubbles float up to the bleeder) and bleed again with pump OFF.

If you have added fresh water during some service operation, then you may have to bleed a number of times in the next few weeks in order to get all that fresh water air out of the system.

i did read the "how to" article
Please tell me that you didn't read the article that tells one that they have to drain the boiler once or twice a year and that you didn't follow that nonsense. If you read that article, the jury is directed to STRIKE THAT TESTIMONY. It is totally INACCURATE! Not only inaccurate, it is just plain WRONG!

I apologize on behalf of DIY.COM for that article being published.

NEVER drain the system unless it is absolutely necessary for some reason to service something! It is NOT necessary or advisable to drain a hot water system. One will do MUCH more harm than good by doing so, not to mention all the work one would be making for themselves.

Old 12-28-13, 10:24 AM
D
the radiators feel hot, naturally the last one on the loop never feels as hot as the first but it is still the same reasonably hot

i have not noticed anything irregular and the system has not received any "major" maintenance where water would get into the system.

however, i know the system has not been bled in YEARS, probably 15 or so.
would an occasional bleeding benefit the system or is it best to let it be if nothing seems wrong?

thank you

Old 12-28-13, 11:26 AM
NJT
would an occasional bleeding benefit the system or is it best to let it be if nothing seems wrong?
It certainly wouldn't HURT anything...

But you know the old adage, "If it ain't broke... " (and the rest of that line is NOT "... fix it until it IS broke!")

There's always 'preventative maintenance' that can be done though.

Old 12-28-13, 03:11 PM
D
still not sure???

start with the first one on the leg or the last?

Old 12-28-13, 03:30 PM
NJT
I thought my "If it ain't broke... " would dissuade you!

If you are only bleeding a few rads, I really don't think it will make much difference which order...

But really... If it ain't broke... not sure if winter is time to be messing with a working system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: