Gurgling in radiation started again

Old 12-24-13, 01:55 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Gurgling in radiation started again

Gurgling in base board radiation has started again system was quite for awhile ,I went down to the boiler shut off the return ball valve an proceeded to relieve some water from the zone in question I did not notice any air but the water is almost a rust color, should I but the end of the hose in a bucket of water to see if air is in fact coming out? Also the air port on the air scoop is new and there no other bleed ports on any of the other baseboard radiation.

Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-13, 02:54 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Geo... post a link to your previous threads for history purposes so we can recall where you've been and what you've done.

Old 12-24-13, 03:35 PM
I am not quite sure how to do that ,but nothing has really changed.except that I never tried to bleed any water fro the zones.
GEO

Old 12-24-13, 03:37 PM
NJT
Can you possibly post some pictures all around your system so we can see what you are working with then?

Old 12-25-13, 12:36 PM
Can't figure out how to send pic's but nothing has changed, I closed the return ball valve below the circulator and put a hose on the draw off above the circulator and opened that draw off and all I got from the hose was a lot of brown water, keep I mind that I did have the boiler feed open and the zone was manually opened.

Old 12-25-13, 02:05 PM
NJT
If you click "REPLY TO THREAD" rather than use the 'quick reply' box at the bottom, there will be more 'icons' to choose from at the top of the reply box.

There's one that vaguely resembles a tree in a picture frame... third from the right in the second row of icons. Click that and you should be able to figure out from there... if not, let me know.

OR, I personally much prefer pics uploaded to a free account at Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing and then a LINK to the PUBLIC picture album posted here. The forum resizes photos and makes them fuzz(y)(ier) and too small to see details. Using an off-site photo host allows us to view them in full resolution.

Rusty brown water is NORMAL. Don't let that concern you in the least.

You may have to operate the 'fast fill' lever on your pressure reducing valve to get enough water flow to move bubbles... BUT .....

Remember that fresh water has tons of air dissolved in it. Every time you add fresh water, you are also adding AIR which will get right you back to where you started as soon as that water is heated and the dissolved air is driven out of the water to form more bubbles.

Did you say that you've been maintaining the pressure in your system?

What IS the pressure and temperature reading?

Have you verified the pressure gauge?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Old 12-25-13, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't know if it will help, but here is the other thread.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...radiation.html

Old 12-25-13, 05:45 PM
Gurgling baseboard radiation

Here are a couple of pic's if I did them right the system is all Pex tubing and there is a draw off below the circulator.

Attached Images    
Old 12-25-13, 07:16 PM
NJT
Did you say that you've been maintaining the pressure in your system?

What IS the pressure and temperature reading?

Have you verified the pressure gauge?
Is the small cap on top of the air vent LOOSE so that air can escape?

Was this system professionally installed?

Not that it matters to your gurgling problem, but the 'order' of you backflow preventer and your pressure reducing valve is incorrect.

Old 12-26-13, 03:43 PM
Pressure is around 18psi and the water temp is controlled by a Taco boiler reset system,they were licensed installers chosen by the general contractor,I should have thrown them off the job in the beginning just because of the way the Pex was sloppily installed and not insulated in unoccupied space as well as the location of the zone valves for future service,(please don't get me started on that) I will check the pressure, back flow and pressure reducing valve location wanted suprise me. What pressure should I expect to see knowing that the house is a single floor ranch about 1500 Sq' also one more dumb thing they was run 1/2" flex to all of the baseboard radiation which has 3/4" drops. The only good thing about this house is that it is a well built, insulated etc.house.What should I see for system pressures? P/S new valve on top of air scoop

Happy New Year!

Geo

Old 12-26-13, 04:14 PM
NJT
18 PSI is fine... gurgling and such can occur if the pressure drops too low... and a MINIMUM cold boiler pressure is generally stated as 12 PSI ... for various reasons.

P/S new valve on top of air scoop
Yes... OK... but is the CAP ON TOP LOOSE so that air can escape?

Old 12-27-13, 04:58 AM
The cap on the top is new and loose, as you can see in on of the pic's there was water leaking from it at one point so I replaced it an made sure it was loose.

Geo