CONDO Baseboard Heat: How to Bleed Air?

Reply

  #41  
Old 12-28-13, 11:21 AM
NJT's Avatar
NJT
NJT is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 23,539
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There seemed to be a 10-15 degree difference between what I set it to and what it warmed up to, so in order for it to be a comfortable 70, I had to push it up to 80. If I set it to 70, it would be 55-60.
As long as it's REPEATABLE and always operates at the same temperature, there isn't a problem with just setting it to where you know it will maintain the temperature.

A very small amount of 'out of level' can be responsible for errors... even a little bit. Try loosening the screws on the t'stat and see if you have enough 'wiggle room' to get it level and if that changes the inaccuracy.

Since this happened, I can push it all the way up to its max of 90 and leave it like that and it still won't top 70, so I was wondering if it was starting to fail or become less sensitive to temperature or something.
If you push it all the way to 90 and you see the valve is OPEN, and the mercury bubble stays on the 'call for heat' side of the vial, and the room STILL won't warm up, then one of two things:

1. There is some reason that hot water is not flowing to your home from the boiler (not your responsibility)

2. The water is flowing but not hot enough to provide enough heat output to counter the heat loss (not your responsibility)
 
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old 12-29-13, 12:18 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 77
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks so much to you and everyone else who chipped in! Will keep you posted. Have a great week!
 
  #43  
Old 12-30-13, 07:50 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 77
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I gave it another go at the leveling. The first few times I checked, I did it with the cover of the thermostat on and the bubble was nearly dead center each time, but I'm assuming the plate with the bi-metal and mercury is the important part, so I took the cover off and checked the plate housing those elements and it was way off (wtf)...

Name:  level1.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  15.0 KB

So I removed that plate as well to get to the very first plate with the wiring so I could compare any level discrepancy between the two and adjust to make sure each would be as level as possible...

Name:  level2.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  17.0 KB

When I was done adjusting that and the second plate, I replaced the cover and the cover was again level just shy of dead center. *shrug*

Name:  level3.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  14.2 KB

Will see if there's an improvement.
 

Last edited by cyberphonics; 12-30-13 at 10:39 AM.
  #44  
Old 12-30-13, 10:38 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 77
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the meantime, I was going to clean the radiators starting with the one in the bathroom since it's the shortest. I thought mine were the kind where you can just pull off the end caps, then pop the front cover off, but nothing on mine is budging.

I searched online and only found one thread where someone said they couldn't get theirs off because it turned out it was glued down. I'm hoping mine are just stuck from paint buildup or something.

P.S. Sorry this topic has ended up being about anything but bleeding the pipes. I guess I should have just named it, help troubleshooting baseboard heat since bleeding the pipes wasn't necessarily the problem.

Update: I was able to score and pry off the inside part of the end cap because it was just stuck down with paint but the OUTSIDE of the end cap where it meets the wall seems like it was caulked or something, so I'm done with this nonsense. I just went around with a blow dryer on high (no heat, just air) and blew it up and down all the baseboards to blow out as much dust and debris as I could. A thorough cleaning will have to wait but that did seem to help a little bit.
 
  #45  
Old 12-30-13, 11:03 AM
NJT's Avatar
NJT
NJT is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 23,539
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I wonder if you've tried 'lifting' the front cover up, unhooking at the top, then lowering to unhook at the bottom?

That's how the Slant-Fin covers come off, ... not sure of yours, but it's worth a try.
 
  #46  
Old 12-30-13, 07:05 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 77
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mine seem to pop off at the bottom and then I can lift them up and off. The problem is that they're stuck. I was able to finally get the one in the bathroom off by just pulling and pushing at it as hard as possible. When I finally I did, I saw that it was a bunch of paint and junk that had basically glued it to the inside of the end cap. The really long ones in the other two rooms, I didn't have the same luck with yet because there seems to be even more paint and gunk holding them together.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow, thanks and goodnight!
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: