Burnham P205-WPV Wiring Assistance

Old 03-31-14, 05:32 AM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Pressure is a bit over 17psi. Is that normal?
Probably fine depending on the temperature of the boiler. How hot was the boiler at the time?

A room temp boiler should be a MINIMUM of 12 PSI. If the expansion tank is properly sized, I might expect a 5-8 PSI increase from ambient to 180F, although reality is that the system could theoretically be run all the way up to 27 PSI ( which is 10% below the 30 PSI opening of the relief valve ). This would surely indicate an undersized or waterlogged expansion tank though.

Push a thermostat all the way up and let the boiler fire all the way to high limit and watch the pressure to see how high it goes. If that 17 PSI is at 180F it's no problem at all, given that you were starting with a cool boiler at 12 PSI minimum.

Pilot light seems louder than I recall. Could that be a function of the larger gas line?
I wouldn't think so... how does the flame appear? Has the gas pressure been checked?

Old 03-31-14, 07:13 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Troop,

That reading was taken when boiler was at operating temp 180 degrees. I didnt take a measurment at room temp, but will next time i am there.

I have not measured the gas pressure. Is that something I can do myself or should I leave for a qualified professional. Would I need any special equipment?

Thanks

Kevin

Old 03-31-14, 04:12 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
That reading was taken when boiler was at operating temp 180 degrees. I didnt take a measurment at room temp, but will next time i am there.
That's fine for a hot boiler... provided you aren't starting at some crazy low pressure like 5 PSI or something. I suspect that it's all good though.

I have not measured the gas pressure. Is that something I can do myself or should I leave for a qualified professional. Would I need any special equipment?
A 'manometer' is needed... and know how to use it... but you can do something called 'clocking the gas meter' to get a pretty close idea if the pressure is correct. Either search the forums here, or even a google search will turn up instructions how to do that.

Old 09-18-14, 06:41 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Troop

Its been a while, I kind of took the summer off working on other projects in the house and with the weather beginning to turn in the Northeast, its time to complete this project.

As a refresher, the heating side of the system is up and running. What is left is the install on the hot water heater. As you may recall we piped for an indirect heater, with its own circulator. Pictures of the set up are in post #79 of this string

A few questions if i may.

1. Is there a way to size the water heater. The house is 1750sq feet 3 bedrooms and 2,5 baths. It will be a summer home for now. How many gallon tank would be sufficient>

2. I am also going to replace the honeywell aquastat with a Model 3200 Fuel Smart Hydrostat.

3. Also I have narrowed down my selection on a water heater to a burham or a weilmclain. Any preference on either?

Thanks

kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: