Peerless BPV-04 Boiler Dripping Water....

Old 12-31-13, 07:01 AM
Peerless BPV-04 Boiler Dripping Water....

So we live in an old house, along with 2 other apartments. There is a Peerless BPV-04 oil fed furnace running old radiators. The radiators are running water, not steam, and although there are 3 floors and 3 apartments, our thermostat also controls the top floor apartments heat.

The landlady has a service contract, but honestly the company is very hesitant to want to touch things.

At the end of last season, I notice the pressure relief valve leaking out onto the floor. After putting a bucket under it, and calling the service company (who also delivers the oil), they sent a guy who claimed he could just "reset" the spring. Of course, it continued to leak. After a few more calls, a different guy came and replaced it.

The season ended and the boiler only was coming on to supply hot water....life happened and I thought all was good.

Last week I went to turn the hose on (nothing like a 65* degree in NY during December to wash the cars!)and see the valve is leaking again.

I called, they came yesterday and this time replaced the valve again and the expansion tank. This morning I went to look and it is still dripping.

Not sure if its related, but also when the other zone is triggered by the basement apartment thermostat, the radiators in the back half of our apartment start to get super hot, like the water is being forced into our zone a bit. Seems to start with our farthest rear radiator and then the next closest and so on.

We are the main and original floor, so I know we have the largest and oldest radiators, as the second floor was added in the early 1900's and the basement apartment added in the 1970's.

I have to get the service company back, but am looking for some guidance so I don't' get the royal snow job, and the landlady doesn't end up being talked into a new boiler she doesn't need. Our rent doesn't increase as I do a lot of repairs and improvements, but at a certain point I call her and she sends someone....I don't want to upset the balance unless I have too....

Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-13, 07:24 AM
NJT
Hi Sean, sounds like some of those guys have attended "Bozo's School of Plumbing and Heating"

"Reset the spring" ... what a maroon...

If the relief valve is spewing, one should never suspect the relief valve is bad... SOMETIMES it IS, but more often than not it's doing what it was designed to do... that is: Relieve excess pressure in the system.

Almost ALWAYS the problem is elsewhere... the second guy that came and replaced the expansion tank was on the right track, but there are TWO OTHER reasons a boiler may have a pressure problem.

If a new expansion tank OF THE CORRECT SIZE was installed and the problem persists, the next things to check are:

1. The PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE, the one that feeds water to the boiler is not 'leaking through'.

2. You mentioned that this boiler also supplies hot water. Is this by means of a coil inside the boiler? That is, there is no storage tank for hot water? If so, you have the coil... this could be leaking domestic water into the boiler water and over-pressurizing.

I mentioned a CORRECTLY SIZED expansion tank... if your home has standing cast iron radiators it means that there is a large water volume in the system, and this requires a LARGER expansion tank than systems that have 'fin-tube' baseboard.

What size is the expansion tank?

Can you show us some pictures of the boiler, particularly the valve that feeds water into the boiler, and the expansion tank?

Old 12-31-13, 07:28 AM
NJT
Not sure if its related, but also when the other zone is triggered by the basement apartment thermostat, the radiators in the back half of our apartment start to get super hot, like the water is being forced into our zone a bit. Seems to start with our farthest rear radiator and then the next closest and so on.
Possibly not related... separate problem most likely.

Called 'ghost flow', 'gravity flow', 'thermosiphon', etc

There may be a missing or malfunctioning 'flow check' valve. These valves are intended to stop flow in one zone when another calls... and to prevent thermosiphoning of the heated water when no pump is running.

Old 12-31-13, 09:03 AM
After searching through other threads this morning, I knew I should have included some pics! It's dark down there, but I tried to cover the main areas.....

There is a storage tank for hot water....and the burner constantly kicks on all times of the day, I guess to keep the water temps up in the storage tank? I have never heard a boiler go on so much....

Here are some shots....

Sean

Here is the unit....

This is unplugged electrically and you can see the bleed valve behind is not so nice looking.

These are what they bang with a hammer to try and get the zone cross over to stop....

Tank.....

New valve and circulators behind it....

Old 01-02-14, 08:08 AM
I replied the other day with a post full of pics.....although when I hit post it said it needed to be approved by a moderator? Did it disappear? If so I will re-post....

Sean

Old 01-02-14, 08:26 AM
NJT
I'm sorry that I did not see the 'moderation' note... the system is set up such that if a 'newbie' posts a lot of pictures the post will get flagged for review.

I'll take a look back at this issue later this evening...

Old 01-02-14, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
What does the pressure and temp gauge read on the boiler? When it starts leaking?

Possibly the boiler is set too hot.... ( Tell us the settings in that grey box on the front...)

Looks like the tankless coil is piped to a water heater... Can you show pics of that piping and if its true.

Looks like a new air vent is needed ( 2nd pic )

Last that low water cut off is not hooked up... I would thing it did not work and someone disconnected it???

Old 01-02-14, 01:02 PM
I think the water heater is actually just a tank.....and to look inside the grey box to see the temp settings, what do I need to know? Are there dials under there, or lots of current to be careful of? I am fairly mechanical, but a boiler noobie....Also, I wasn't sure what that disconnected electrical part was, so its the low pressure switch? There is a large control panel on the right side that is also unplugged so I assume its all part of the same set up....

Sean

Here is the piping to the water tank....

Old 01-02-14, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Yes hi voltage in that grey box... Just take off cover to see what the setting are...

Hi ..Lo... and Diff... What are they set too?

What does the pressure and temp gauge read???

That tank is used with a circ to keep hot water in the tank... Yes the boiler will kick on often....