SlantFin and Generator problems

Old 01-02-14, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SlantFin and Generator problems

Hey team. Looks like a great forum. Now my problem. I have a oil burner from SlantFin that is 3 years old and during Hurricane Sandy we lost power for 9 days, so I purchased a generator. It was used for a few lights, the frig and furnace. The generator started the furnace but as soon as the room tempurature was up to the setting on my thermostat the furnace turned off and after the temp dropped in the room instead of the furnace re-starting, all I heard was the clicking sound of the relay starting but the furnace never turned on. If I turned the thermostat up higher the furnace would then go on and work until the tempurature was again met. It seems that it wont maintain the temp once it is met. Any ideas? It getting mighty cold here in the nutmeg state and they are forcasting 10" of snow tonight and below zero temps. Just keeping my finger crossed that we dont lose power. Happy New Years.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-14, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Some electronics do not work with dirty gen power... If you had a inverter style gen you most likely would have no issues...

Old 01-02-14, 05:36 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Inverters convert DC to AC. Inverter generators first produce DC, which then is converted to AC, electronically. Inverters that produce a pure sine-wave should be OK. Cheaper inverters might produce a square wave. Tell us the manufacturer and model number of the generator.

Those sleek and compact generators, possibly with a carrying handle, are usually inverter generators. The AC frequency doesn't have to be controlled by the engine speed, are simpler, lighter, and cheaper. A conventional AC generator produces 60-Hz power from the get-go, based on the engine governor, and the power should be "clean."

If your generator wouldn't run your boiler last time, I don't think it will next time.

Old 01-03-14, 01:51 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Not to step on gilmorrie's toes too hard but a slight correction. High quality inverter generators first produce a high frequency, multi-phase AC output that is rectified to DC and then inverted back to AC by a crystal-controlled inverter module that also controls the voltage output.

My Yamaha inverter can go from no load to full load or from full load to no load with a frequency excursion of less than one-half Hertz and it settles back to 60 Hz. almost immediately. The voltage excursion is maybe one full volt over/under 120 volts under the same conditions. Very few, if any, non-inverter portable generators are this good. It is this dual conversion and the crystal-controlled frequency that makes inverter generators cost about double (or more) the price of a non-inverter model. If you see an inverter that is only slightly more expensive than a non-inverter of the same capacity, keep looking.

Old 01-03-14, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is more to it than square wave vs. sine wave. You can have very messy sine waves that will not be usable.

Old 01-03-14, 03:16 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
There is more to it than square wave vs. sine wave. You can have very messy sine waves that will not be usable.
Right... it's called 'harmonic distortion'.

Old 01-03-14, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
The OP may get the boiler to work... His gen may just be off and out of the hz range... He may just need a killowatt meter to read the hz or a multimeter that does it, and adjust the governor.....