Boiler Circulator Pump Leaking -- A Lot

Old 01-04-14, 08:30 AM
Boiler Circulator Pump Leaking -- A Lot

This is such a great forum, I have learned a lot just by reading through everyone's woes and solutions--so thank you. I dont think that my problem has been addressed (maybe it has and I am just too dense to realize that I am having a similar problem).

I have a lot of water leaking from a small notch on the top of the circulator pump. It was just discovered a couple of hours ago and already I have about a cup and a half of water collected. (Please see the photo for the specific area of leakage)

I have two questions. First, how urgent is it to get this replaced (i.e. how long can the pump go on leaking). I would like to solve it on my own, but inevitably it will take longer to do that.

Second, what is the likely reason for the leak? How should I go about fixing it (assuming it is not urgent and have to call someone in soon)?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Jon

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 09:17 AM
NJT
leaking from a small notch
Water isn't coming out of the oil fill tube is it? That cap has a spring loaded hinge on it.

Old 01-04-14, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Trooper.

Yes, the water is very much coming out of the oil fill tube.

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-14, 10:24 AM
NJT
Oh... that's not good. Indicates a leaking impeller seal. There should only be oil in there!

Are there valves which will allow you to isolate the pump and avoid having to drain the system?

How long will it last? good question... with water in there, the bearings are going to start to wear out. Hard to say how long it will operate like that.

The fix is to replacing the seal... or the bearing assembly and impeller... either one requires draining if you don't have valves to isolate.

Sourcing parts quickly is another thing...

Old 01-04-14, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Old 01-04-14, 10:51 AM
Thanks a million for helping to diagnose the problem.

When you say that I can replace either the seal or the bearing assembly and impeller--would both of those options get me to the same place? Which is recommended and why would one be chosen over the other?

I had a look at the set up and it looks like I have valves on the return pipes leading to the pump, but no valve between the pump and the boiler. Does this mean I have to drain the whole system? Is that a pretty substantial undertaking?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-04-14, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
This is what you will need to do... This is why I say replace with a 007 and be done with it...

Up to you.. The seal kit is $40 bucks.. As long there are no more issues .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGeofwFLUJc#t=142

Old 01-04-14, 11:28 AM
Thanks Lawson. You are exactly right about the Armstrong pump I have.

The Taco seems like a great option. The only thing I worry about is the strength of the pump (1/25 HP vs. 1/12 HP of the Armstrong). Do you think it will cut it? We have three zones, one on each floor (basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor--each floor is about 800 sq-ft.)

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-14, 01:24 PM
NJT
The Taco pump capacity believe it or not is nearly the same as that bigger pump. In some cases it even will pump a bit more.

If you do go for the repair, you have to get all the water out of the oil reservoir, and plan on installing a new pump coupler also. No sense putting the old one back in.

Yes, you will have to drain... DO close the return valves, and any others that will limit the amount of water you have to drain.

It can be a pain in the tookas to refill the system and bleed the air out if you've never done it before. That's probably the most difficult part of the job.

Old 01-05-14, 08:09 AM
Thats very interesting that the Taco has the same capacity as the Armstrong. My thought was that the capacity was driven by HP (and price), but I am happy to be corrected.

I will do some research to see if refilling the system and bleeding the air out is a project I am up for.

Thank you Trooper and thank you Lawson for all of your advice and help.

Old 01-05-14, 09:09 AM
NJT
My thought was that the capacity was driven by HP (and price)
To some extent it is.

A lot of the pumping capacity comes from the design of the impeller and pump volute.

Old 01-06-14, 01:41 PM
Terrific. The pump is on order and come Wednesday, with some luck, I should be up and running.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 01-06-14, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Cool let us know how it goes...