NEW boiler noise and not heating properly, installer won't come back

Old 01-15-14, 03:37 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nycsmile
Whether it's on 190F, 180F or 170F it still stays off until it gets to 30F below that temperature before coming back on. Can this be changed?

A: Yes it can, but if you change the differential from 30 F to (eg.) 15 F you double the cycles/Hr.
For the data provided: Average system temperature of 175 F
diff 30 F, OFF 450sec, ON 285sec, Cycle time 12.25min, 4.90 cycles/hr
diff 15 F, OFF 225sec, ON 157sec, Cycle time_ 6.37min 9.41 cycles/hr

Old 01-15-14, 03:50 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What RD is saying is pretty much the 'bottom line' here.

I think this thread has pretty much reached the end of it's usefulness to anyone.

Smile, your only recourse at this point is to sue the 645t4r6. You can't fix it yourself.

You don't need a bunch of technical jargon to prove your case as RD has stated.

Just do it! S.O.G.O.T.P.

Have you looked into city government agencies that deal with this type of dispute? That's another avenue you should explore.

Old 01-15-14, 04:03 PM
N
House is 1,200 square feet, split between 3 floors, 400 sq feet each.

Here is a diagram. I can't draw so you are allowed to laugh.

Old 01-15-14, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Can you draw how this was? Im not understanding that the loop that was not there is for the middle floor....

It may be fine but just not understanding it...and why something was change here... Its odd that the loop was just piped back into the wall...

Old 01-15-14, 04:55 PM
R
I would say you house is somewhere in the 45,000 range, depending on insulation, windows and a couple other factors. If anything i would've probably went somewhere in the 70-80k range but two stage, use the first stage as the heating and second stage for the domestic. All of this talk is really a mute point if nothing gets done. Call him back and tell him, if its not fixed to the manufacturers specs and in working condition, you will file a lawsuit against him. You'll see how quickly he gets back there to fix it. Sometimes people make business mistakes, this is a big one that will end up costing him money, but to keep the customer happy, he has to deal with it.

Old 01-15-14, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I would say you house is somewhere in the 45,000 range, depending on insulation, windows and a couple other factors. If anything i would've probably went somewhere in the 70-80k range

RD the house at 1200 sq ft probably only needs about 30k btu boiler... The OP has a 90K boiler... Way, way oversized hence the short burner times

That boiler will heat 3 of the op's homes....

Old 01-15-14, 05:02 PM
R
You can't size a boiler based on sq footage. The main level of my home is about 1200 sq ft and the calc came out to almost 39k

Old 01-15-14, 06:03 PM
NJT
You can't size a boiler based on sq footage.
But a SWAG will come pretty darn close. For a normal home, reasonable construction, 25 BTU/SQ FT is gonna be a pretty darn close guess!

The main level of my home is about 1200 sq ft and the calc came out to almost 39k
Sounds high... I bet if you actually MEASURED it would be much less than you think!

My entire 1900 sq ft home comes in around 45K

SWAG used as a ballpark sanity check is fine. And remember that the calculations are only ESTIMATES.

Sorry for the digression................................ now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Old 01-15-14, 06:42 PM
R
I measured room by room. I was mistaken, the calc came in at 31,600

Old 01-15-14, 07:05 PM
NJT
See how close that is to 25 BTUH / SQ FT?

Old 01-15-14, 11:54 PM
N
All of this talk is really a mute point if nothing gets done. Call him back and tell him, if its not fixed to the manufacturers specs and in working condition, you will file a lawsuit against him
I am going to do that, but none of this thread is a waste. I wouldn't have even known where to start without it.

The boiler is oversized and short-cycling
I need re-pipe regardless
I need a LWCO
Maybe the middle and ground floor zones were merged behind the wall

Do I have it right?

RD the house at 1200 sq ft probably only needs about 30k btu boiler... The OP has a 90K boiler... Way, way oversized hence the short burner times

That boiler will heat 3 of the op's homes....
Thank you for letting me know this and for Heatworm running the numbers to identify the short-cycling.

lawrosa

Can you draw how this was? Im not understanding that the loop that was not there is for the middle floor....
I don't understand it either. In my old system there were just two pipes coming out of the bottom right wall and running parallel to each other. One was ground floor supply. One was grond floor return.

The new system parallel pipes started out looking exactly the same. First call I had no heat middle floor. Second call one of my thermostats was turning on both the middle and bottom floor. After the third call he chopped the return pipe that had been marked "1" and chopped both of those parralel pipes. From the "1" return he ran new pipes to and from the parallel pipes (the pipes that cross in front of circuit box and drop down vertically into the parallel ones.) That left two cut pipes sticking out of the wall, which he closed into that loop. Then he crossed out all the "1" and "B" markings on the walls and in the zone valves. None of this was discussed with me. It's what I found down there between the 3rd and 4th call.

All I can come up with is that the two zones were accidentally merged together before the new walls went up and this is what he came up with to separate them without having to tell me or break a wall.

Old 01-16-14, 06:47 AM
R
Yeah all those things are valid points for him to go back and fix his mess. Mention to him that he never filed for permits as well and that you are going to contact the town and report him. Not only will he be fined but you should easily win in court if it comes down to that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: