One zone not working - Possible freeze

Old 01-07-14, 10:13 PM
One zone not working - Possible freeze

One of the 3 zones on my baseboard heater (oil fired boiler) is not working since this afternoon. The other 2 zones are working without issues. Today being the coldest day in decades (5 F), I'm wondering if this has to do anything with a freeze somewhere in the pipes in the non-working zone. Here are my findings that may help you in debugging my problem:
1. When I dried to drain the non-working zone's return valve, there was some trickle and then no water. This leads me to think there is a freeze somewhere in the pipe.
2. The thermostat for the non-working zone is ON and set at 70F and the room temp in that zone is 50F, however the boiler does not turn on with the thermostats turned off in the other zones. The boiler only turns on when I turn on the thermostats in one of the working zones.

Your suggestions are welcome. But, assuming this is a freeze issue, can you help me to tell where it could be or should I just apply a hair dryer to different parts of the baseboard pipes?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome.........

When I dried to drain the non-working zone's return valve, there was some trickle and then no water. This leads me to think there is a freeze somewhere in the pipe.
Could be frozen, but draining the zone may be doing more harm then good...

however the boiler does not turn on with the thermostats turned off in the other zones. The boiler only turns on when I turn on the thermostats in one of the working zones.
Sound like the zone valve is not opening. When the t stat is turned up it opens the zone valve... The zone valve has a switch in it and fires the boiler....

Please tell us make and model or boiler?
What does the pressure and temp gauge read at the boiler?

Take pics... You can open that zone manually to get heat. If you do this you will get heat to that zone when any other t stat calls for heat...

But since you tried to drain you may have air issues now...

Let us know............

Old 01-08-14, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the response. I did try setting the zone valve to manual open to get heat last night, but it didnt work.

I shutoff the water supply to the boiler (fearing a freeze-related pipe crack) and woke up this morning to a leaking zone valve in the non-working zone. I immediately turned the boiler off and that has stopped the leak.

The zone valve model is Honeywell 40004850-001. Was that the cause of all problems from the beginning?

The boiler is a Weil-McLain WGO-3. When the boiler was running, the temp was between 170-202. The pressure was 40 psi.

I'll take some pics and post shortly. Again, thanks for your help.

Old 01-08-14, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
The pressure was 40 psi.
Read that again!!!! If that is true and your relief valve has not discharge you have other issues....

Was that the cause of all problems from the beginning?
If it was leaking , yes most likely...

But that pressure issue worry's me.. Psi should be around 20psi or so hot.. Never close to 30 or over....

IMO with the cold weather now is not the time to fix yourself... Call in a pro....

Old 01-08-14, 05:28 AM
Thanks a lot. I'm calling around to get help.

Old 01-08-14, 06:33 AM
I'm still looking for a tech, and in the meanwhile I disassembled the leaky zone valve after draining the water from the pipe and it's a bad O-ring, for which I'm calling plumbing supplies to find a replacement. Nobody seems to carry just the O-ring. I still dont know if it's just the O-ring or the entire valve that is bad. Even if I replace the valve I'm not sure if that will give me back my heat on the zone. It may still be a freeze problem beside the O-ring. Any comments?

Old 01-08-14, 08:00 AM
Pardon me, but I read the meter wrong.. it was 20 psi.. looks like i read the other side of the meter.