It's Cold!

Old 01-08-14, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's Cold!

First, thanks to all those who reply and help out folks like myself.

Its been pretty darn cold on the east coast for the last few days and I figure that is probably the answer to my question.

I cant get the heat above 64 degrees in my home. Here's my question. The boiler is working and hasn't been a problem since i bought the home over the summer. The temp is set at 180 degrees and that is what it has been heating up to until now. It seems to heat only to 160 degrees (now, Im just going off the temp gauge on the boiler) and then shutting off. Could that be the reason why my home is not heating up?

Everything seems to work well. The thermostat calls for heat, the zone valves work properly and the boiler fires. Why is it shutting down before it reaches 180 degrees?

Bonus question on another topic. I purchased programmable thermostats that require 24v from the common wire. I dont have an extra wire available. HoneyWell instructions talk about substituting the green fan wire (G) for the common wire (C). Where is the other end of the green wire? I assume it is on the air handler in the attic. Looked up there and it made no sense to me. The thermostat has 5 wires. I assume before the boiler and AC handler, the thermostat wires split off and run to each of them. I couldn't find anything on the air handler that offered me the possibility of switching the green wire from G to C then putting in a jumper between Y and G.

Anyways.. replies are welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Nope boiler should heat to 180F if that is what the aquastst is set to...

What is the psi of the boiler? Should be another dial on the temp gauge...

As far as the air handler what is the make and model?

Also did you recently change the t stat? And you have not had this issue before with the old t stat???

Old 01-08-14, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lawrosa

Nope boiler should heat to 180F if that is what the aquastst is set to
Thats what I thought.. It's used to, but now with the temp in the teens it isnt getting past 160.

What is the psi of the boiler? Should be another dial on the temp gauge...
Its ranges like 12-18psi Never about 20

As far as the air handler what is the make and model?
I'll have to check this out. The boiler is Weil McClane though.

Also did you recently change the t stat? And you have not had this issue before with the old t stat??
No, I want to change them. The new ones are programmable and Wifi. The existing thermostats are also Honeywell, but are battery operated and not in need of 24v common wiring.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz2ppswNK5L

Old 01-08-14, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Change the batterys in the t stats... That may be your issue...