Outdoor wood boiler not heating up

Old 01-08-14, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outdoor wood boiler not heating up

Hi, I recently purchased a home equipped with a Wood Doctor outdoor wood boiler. I have spent the past month or so trying to figure out why the boiler is having difficulty heating up beyond 110 or so degrees. I am constantly feeding wood into the boiler but cannot get the boiler to heat beyond 110 or so. My controller is set at 140 and the limit controller is set at 210. I have to admit that I am not experienced with these things so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 06:16 PM
are you getting any heat out to the load ?
It can't be sitting there eating wood and not be heating anything.

What kind of wood u using ?
When was it cut ?

Old 01-08-14, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. The highest temperature I have been able to get to inside my house is 67-68 degrees and thats with the thermostat set at 73-74 degrees. I bought a dumptruck load of firewood from the Amish but the boiler was devouring the wood in no time flat. I believe it is oak. I did cut a couple of loads of Ash that seems to burn better but I am still having the issue.

Old 01-08-14, 06:31 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Presume you are measuring the temperature at the boiler and not in the home?

Tell us a little more about the installation:

What size and type of piping is run to the home?

If it's uninsulated PEX buried in a trench, you may be heating the ground.

How is it tied into the home?

How big is the pump?

Old 01-08-14, 06:36 PM
Pics would be helpful, especially where the pipes interface with whatever is inside your house.

Old 01-09-14, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Does your heater have a electric blower to regulate the firebox/water temperature? If so is it working?

Since you say it's devouring wood I assume the blower is working correctly and is running a lot trying to bring the water temp up. In that case I suspect clogged flue tubes.

Many heaters have a fire box at one end and water tank at the other. The hot gasses from the fire box travel through a series to tubes that pass through the water tank (heat exchanger) and finally to the chimney. These tubes can become clogged with soot, creosote, ash, bird & insect nests... Straight through tubes are pretty easy to clear but some tubes are U or S shaped and require a special brush with a long flexible handle that can snake through the tube.

Old 01-09-14, 11:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. Yes the electric blower is working as I have tested it by setting the controller down to 100 degrees and the fan defintely shuts off. I am going to follow Pilot Dane's advice and clean the flue tube and see if that makes a difference. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not, I'll post pictures in the next day or so.

Old 01-09-14, 11:38 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you answer the questions I asked previously?

Presume you are measuring the temperature at the boiler and not in the home?

Tell us a little more about the installation:

What size and type of piping is run to the home?

If it's uninsulated PEX buried in a trench, you may be heating the ground.

How is it tied into the home?

How big is the pump?

Old 01-10-14, 12:53 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Need to know the outlet water temperature at the boiler and where it connects to the home's heating system. Need to know the temperature of the water as it leaves the home's heating system and where it enters the boiler. Need to know the stack temperature of the exit gases from the boiler and the ambient air temperature.

If your tubes are fouled you will have a high stack temperature. If you are losing heat in the ground that will show as a large differential between the temperatures at the house and the boiler.

Old 01-10-14, 10:11 AM
I am almost embarassed to admit this but the problem was caused by my use of green wood. I had cut several fairly large pieces of oak in hopes of burning slower but I couldn't get the heat I needed. Once I went back to loading the stove with the wood I purchased from the Amish the temperature rose as expected. Really appreciate this forum!!!!