Relocating ODR sensor

Old 01-12-14, 11:10 AM
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
Question Relocating ODR sensor

Hi again,

In a previous post it was suggested that I relocate the ODR sensor that is at the top of the supply manifold to a location closer to the boiler output. I think I can mount it on the fitting where the relief valve and gauge are mounted. I would insert a tee below the relief valve, install that valve at the top of the tee and mount the sensor in the side of the tee using a nipple if necessary to provide enough depth for the sensor well.

Do you think this will interfere with the operation of the relief valve?

I checked the specs of the relief valve and it does not have a stem that protrudes into the fitting so there will be no physical interference with the sensor well entering from the side. If having the sensor well in the path of flow to the relief valve is a problem, I could use a nipple large enough to keep the sensor well out of the body of the tee and provide an unimpeded cross-section opening for the relief valve.

Thanks.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-14, 04:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hmm. I'm not sure about right below the relief valve. I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be ok, but I would want someone with more experience to comment about that. I also wonder if you have enough room to turn the T without it hitting the boiler. I've kind of wondered myself if I could ever get the relief valve off. A second choice would be to replace the elbow right after the gauge with a T. You have a union right above so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Old 01-16-14, 04:45 PM
Is there a T with a plug in it above the union one the supply that I just mentioned? If so, you may want to try relocating the sensor there to see if there is an improvement. It's easy enough to do. I think you will still have some delay, but it should be way better than where it is now, and if it does help, you will know that doing the new pipe work close to the gauge will be worth the trouble.

Old 01-16-14, 05:21 PM
ODR sensor I believe refers to the sensor that is installed outdoors while the sensor on the boiler is a boiler temperature sensor , either return or supply , just saying.

Old 01-16-14, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your responses.

I wondered about the clearance to remove the relief valve. It was installed on the tee before that was installed on the boiler per the installation instructions. It probably can be removed but I think the paint on the side panel will get scraped doing it.

There is a plugged tee above the supply union for possible future DHW connection. I could use that for now or add another tee there and still have a future connection. It is slightly further away from the boiler but the water temp difference between there and the relief/gauge tee won't be too much.

The sensor I am talking about is the boiler sensor to the ODR not the outside sensor.

Old 01-18-14, 06:42 AM
How big of a pipe was allowed for the DHW?

I would stick the probe in that connection or now as a test. Then I would relocate it as close to the boiler as possible at a more convenient time. Like Spring. Having that union there will make any modification fairly easy. Keep us posted on your results.

Old 01-18-14, 07:11 AM
Pipe size for future DWH is 1 1/4 inch. I won't do any piping changes until after the heating season.

Thanks again.