Leak! In zone while away...bad news!

Old 01-12-14, 07:04 PM
Leak! In zone while away...bad news!

So I came home after two weeks away to a broken pipe in one my zones, flooded basement area and basically my whole hydronic system purged with make up water I presume while it ran with the slow leak...not good and can someone tell me just how bad that is on the very old systems 36 year burnham which until now had been purring along with its vintage water. I have everything shut down at the moment fixing the zone leak and would appreciate any advice as to how this huge addition of make up water to my system might affect the future of it...is there anything I should do? 30 below temperatures with wind caught me off guard on a bad section even with interior stats set at 60 AND circulating with no setbacks...go figure I even had someone checking that the heat was on....just not that basement walk thru at the right time AND after the warm backup Friday...bummer!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 07:39 PM
NJT
Hi Dog,

I would think that as long as the leak was slow and cold water wasn't POURING through the boiler, you MIGHT be OK.

The big problem comes when huge amounts of cold water hit a hot boiler.

There wasn't so much water that the boiler got flooded, was there? If there was that much water and it got up high enough to the burner, well, that's another story.

Old 01-12-14, 07:53 PM
1/4" slit but leaking pretty good Troop!...first thing I heard when entering the house was the gurgling water in the main floor zone and the stat running it was reading 65 which I thought was odd when I had it set to 60 on a hold...NO the boiler did not flood soo crossing my fingers. Certainly added a lot of water I figure it must have been leaking for several days...yikes. Good thing I got home when I did. Any advice when firing back up? proper steps etc? thanks in advance and BTW I will be checking that expansion tank pressure and doing fix for the quick check seems like a good time to do it.

Last edited by Bigdog; 01-12-14 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 06:50 AM
NJT
Any advice when firing back up? proper steps etc?
Other than making sure it's full of water... no, nothing special needs to be done really.

Old 01-13-14, 12:06 PM
as far as making sure its full of water...with the six zones and plenty of air in it...I'm ready to finally fire it back up so should I leave the boiler off, open cold water make up and sytematically open each zone one side of it anyway and then bleed air thru each zone drain until air is gone...one at a time right down the line....would that be the best procedure? and BTW I put the fix on the ex tank and changed the vent...it's reading 12 lbs (good) most of my convectors DONT have vents BUT I do have a new auto vent in one I changed upstairs not to long ago that should help since its at the highest point in the system.

Old 01-13-14, 04:23 PM
All set! transfer pump and a bucket....one at a time...eliminated air without adding new water....and she's purring again...thanks Trooper and DIY forums! and great resource