Installing a Becket Aquasmart but there is a GVD. Where do I wire this to?

Old 01-12-14, 07:41 PM
Sip
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a Becket Aquasmart but there is a GVD. Where do I wire this to?

Hi,
Thanks again to NJTrooper and the other members who helped me on my oil to gas conversion last week.

My buddy just closed on a house with a Columbia Boiler (natural gas) and because of my recent conversion, my Becket Aquasmart is free to install in his house. I looked at his system and it looks pretty good, and mostly current. Auto fill, backflow preventer, etc. The only questionable thing is his expansion tank is the air type, not the bladder. I am recommending he converts. Good Advice?

The second issue is the flue has an automatic damper in it that runs off of 24vdc. I have not doublechecked the aquastat but I think it's a Honeywell L8148A. Wiring up the Becket for the Boiler, Circulator, Thermostat is straight forward, but I'm not sure of the damper. I haven't studied the current aquastat, but it appears that 2 of the 4 wires going to the damper motor come from the 24vdc convertor. I don't know about the other two. Is the power jumped from the Aquastat itself?

My question is, where do I hook up the 4 wires from the GVD to? The beckett doesn't show where these are supposed to go. Will the 24vdc from the beckett be enough to power the GVD?

Oh, I just realized this may all be for naught. I used it in an oil boiler and they call for a different model number for the gas boilers. I'll contact beckett about if its a software difference or a hardware one.

Thanks
sip

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 07:51 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The only questionable thing is his expansion tank is the air type, not the bladder. I am recommending he converts. Good Advice?
Not necessarily. First rule as always is as you know, "If it ain't broke...................."

There's nothing at all wrong with the old style compression tanks. If PROPERLY INSTALLED AND PIPED they can be MAINTENANCE FREE for decades, unlike a bladder type tank.

I would have to see it to tell if it makes sense to convert, but if it's functioning fine, leave it alone!

automatic damper in it that runs off of 24vdc
I'm quite sure it's 24 V AC , not DC.

I think a strong CAUTION! is in order here...

First, you are wanting to install an aquastat for an OIL burner onto a GAS boiler.

The aquastat is probably NOT COMPATIBLE.

The GAS VALVE in that boiler runs on 24 VAC I'm sure.

The aquastat from your OIL system puts out 120 VAC on the B1/B2 terminals and if you hook that up to the gas valve... BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ... there goes his gas valve in a HEART BEAT.

Not to mention the LIABILITY angle... you work on your own system, well, that's fine... but you work on someone else's and something bad happens... guess who gets fingers pointed at him... I know he's a friend and all... but when it comes down to it ya just never know.

Old 01-12-14, 08:07 PM
Sip
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yup, I caught that 120 vs 24 volt thing as you must have been reading my first post. I edited it but I think his hope of using my more efficient aquastat are gone. Well, he can use my aquastat for free if he wants to install an oil boiler!

How often does the compression style need to be purged? Yearly? I pulled out 8 Gallons today because we had no idea when it was last done. The first 3 came out with pressure, so at least I can be sure there was still an air bubble in there, just not the volume of it. There was still water in there but I was tired of waiting and stopped with the knowledge that the pocket is larger now than prior.

Old 01-13-14, 06:17 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How often does the compression style need to be purged?
It all depends on how the system was piped. If done 'by the book', the answer can be NEVER.

If not done properly, I dunno... year? two? three?

There was still water in there but I was tired of waiting and stopped with the knowledge that the pocket is larger now than prior.
Larger only if the tank actually DID suck air. There's lots of 'tricks' to getting compression tanks drained properly. Easiest is probably to install a "DT-2 Drain-O-Tank" valve in place of the normal valve. Others involve compressed air... forcing it in to break the suction... sometimes just using a short hose of 3/4" size is enough, a 50' 5/8" garden hose coiled in loops on the floor is not going to allow air to travel back up the hose to the tank... sometimes just leaving the hose connection at the drain LOOSE so that it can suck air... whatever it takes...

So, if your tank did NOT suck any air, then the air bubble is no bigger than it was.