replacement thermostat

Old 01-22-14, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question replacement thermostat

I am in need of replacing thermostats for an apartment complex of 200 units. I received a quote of $350 a piece. Are these not able to be replaced with a standard off the shelf 'home depot' type of thermostat or are they special for some reason? i am completely new to boilers (its a Kewanee) and am doing this from long distance. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-14, 12:23 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wait... is that 70 THOUSAND to replace 200 thermostats?

Why do they all need changing?

Send me some plane fare, I'll do it for half that! (kidding)

Seriously... that seems crazy...

I've never seen thermostats that look like that. I believe that they are part of some type of 'integrated building control' system. They may be quite pricey. They could be only a PART of what needs replacing, possibly part of a 'floating/modulating control' system.

No, they don't appear to be a big box store item.

See if you can locate the thermostats on-line, get a price, double it, times 200 and make them a counter offer.

Is there any manufacturer / model number info on that part?

Old 01-22-14, 01:16 PM
Probably a simple stat that just controls a zone valve. If its that simple, $350 each is insane. Honestly, if you do have zone valves, a simple $30 off the shelf heat only stat will work. I would say 200 stats at $125 each would be a much better deal for a total of $25K

Old 01-22-14, 01:32 PM
Hmmm, does the person quoting know that you're new to boilers and are managing this from a distance? Sure seems like it. Some people will throw out a ridiculous quote just to see if it sticks. The contractor can always go down in price, but never up!

Old 01-22-14, 02:19 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Probably a simple stat that just controls a zone valve.
I kinda doubt it actually...

Where is the temperature sensor, INSIDE the WALL?

Looks like a 'rheostat' to me... which would make sense that it's part of a control system for the entire building. There's probably a temperature sensor elsewhere in each unit.

If it IS just a simple rheostat, then it is ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS that they want to charge $350 for JUST that part.

I'm suspecting that there is more to the story.

Did you get an ITEMIZED quote from the contractor? One that breaks out PARTS and LABOR?