Extreme Pipe Hammering from Cold Water Pipe going to Hot Water Storage Tank.

Old 01-25-14, 07:49 AM
M
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extreme Pipe Hammering from Cold Water Pipe going to Hot Water Storage Tank.

Hi Friends,
I have two Hot Water Storage Tanks heated by Indirect Fire Method. Lately Cold water pipe going into Storage Tanks (Shown in Picture link) is banging very hard that i can hear that noise from two floor above 300 feet away. I have also attached MP3 file link on recording of actual noise. It appears that when cold water being filled to Storage Tank this pipe are banging because water seems to back flow heavily due to high pressure. My main cold water pipe pressure is 50 psi. Not sure what exact pressure at water tank level. When pipe hammers, if I open any of the hot water valve open at anywhere in house, it immediately stops hammering but it again starts after 5-10 minutes. It is doing more on late night when we are sleeping than during day time. May be because we use water which releases the pressure.

Can someone please help me understand what could be causing this issue and what can I do to fix it permanently ?

1) Picture of Water Heater Storage Tank: https://app.box.com/s/9100wwmrrgt7z6wpfyt0
2) MP3 Sound File Noise coming from Cold Water Pipe Shown in picture: https://app.box.com/s/2htd4crc8z4mlr23igz6

Old 01-25-14, 02:38 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
When did this start? After the frozen pipe fiasco?

That's a sick sounding doggie right there...

Old 01-25-14, 03:18 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the check valve is clicking , could it be broken ?

Old 01-25-14, 05:31 PM
M
NJTrooper,
It is there for a while and my previous post I did mention this issue but due to frozen pipe discussion this issue was not highlighted. This issue was coming off and on. After me reducing cold water valve problem was gone but now it is back.

For now I have turned of cold water from left Water Tank and problem is gone. Why I think it is in left water tank and not in right one, because as shown in link mention below Air Vent seems to be leaking and culprit could be Air Vent failed. Not sure if Air Vent could cause this issue or not but this is my pure guess. You may able to tell whether Air Vent is the issue or I have to look some where else.

Please see below two link from top and side view, it shows that Air Vent is leaking.

https://app.box.com/s/f6girijo5i3pecx1j9oe
https://app.box.com/s/3opgdr595rf5y92xb7z6

Old 01-25-14, 05:35 PM
M
Saves,
Where do you see the check valve ?. I do not know what is check valve.

Old 01-29-14, 08:01 PM
M
I changed Air Vent which I thought was causing hammering issue but no help.

Can anyone point me out how do I go about solving pipe hammering issue ?

Old 01-29-14, 08:17 PM
NJT
Can anyone point me out how do I go about solving pipe hammering issue ?
Without a thorough understanding of how the system is piped up and exactly what each of the tanks are doing, I don't know that we'll be able to do much with this...

Would it be possible for you to draw a piping diagram and scan or photograph it ?

There's lots of piping running back and forth...

I still don't understand why there are two indirects... I think you are saying that one of them is running the baseboards? and one is for domestic hot tap water?

Old 01-30-14, 08:35 PM
M
NJTrooper,
Finally I have drawn plumbing diagram of my domestic hot water heater and Baseboard piping.

Please see complete exact diagram as shown in this link:

https://app.box.com/s/9o9iklh2c894y7jle48h

I still don't understand why there are two indirects
Two Domestic Hot Water Storage tank- 40 gallon each (Indirect Fired) are for more storage nothing else. I do not think it is used for Baseboard heat water but I could be wrong. I think for baseboard heat, pipe is going direct to boiler, again I am not sure you will able to tell based on diagram.

Cold Water Pipe feeding to Storage Tank in Left is causing Water Hammering. I have marked the pipe in Diagram. If I close shut off valve cold water incoming to Left Water Tank, Hammering does not occur.

Old 01-31-14, 01:33 PM
NJT
OK, this is not a problem with the actual heating system then... so this may not be the correct forum really, but let's get some more info and see if we can help anyhow...

You show the domestic cold supply coming into the indirect heaters, but I do not see the hot domestic pipe going out.

You have drawn a circulating pump that appears to be connected to the cold water supply to the indirect heater domestic supply.

Does the building use a HOT WATER RECIRC SYSTEM? Is that what that pump is for?

Old 01-31-14, 06:48 PM
M
NJ Trooper,
Thank you for your response. Indeed i forgot to show hot water pipes going out of the both tank. I have added both pipe in link below. Regarding to circulating pump from cold water pipe, there are several cold water pipe are going out to Air Condition Unit and one pipe is going out. I am not sure if it has anything to do with hot water system.

No I do not have hot water Recirculating system.

One thing I wanted to ask you was, do you think my both tank is missing Expansion tank ? and could that be causing this issue ?. I am not sure how much it is needed since it has been working fine for 20 years. If I need expansion tank how big I will need and what location I should install ? i have posted manufacturer diagram (page 4) for recommended piping diagram for you to review.

https://app.box.com/s/h7ae8jp0jh8wypmt8bvf

Another thing is Hot Water Tank in Right has main controller where thermostat is located, so any heat is being called by right tank not the left tank. Tank in Left which is causing this hammering issue, if I half close incoming Cold Water going into Tank in left, issue seems to be gone (at least for last two days). Do you think high pressure is being built in this tank ? If yes, how can this be fixed ?

https://app.box.com/s/htiiymtzxp1sfmeh96d6

Last edited by mamin; 01-31-14 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-11-14, 07:39 PM
M
I have installed 4.4 Gallon Thermal Expansion tank between Shut off valve and Water Heater Tank. When i checked pressure at that point, it was 55 psi where as regular pressure in my house is 50 psi. I am assuming it is due to hot water pressure build up which will increase pressure.

Here is the link with Expansion tank Installed on cold water side:

https://app.box.com/s/2n88rwz2xtb89u32htew

It has been two days and issue seems to be gone unless it comes back in couple of days.

Old 12-23-14, 09:16 PM
M
Hi NJ Trooper
My Pipe banging problem came back from last year and I have still not figured out what is causing this issue. Today is the first day this winter, I am hearing really loud noise from my cold water pipe going into hot water tank.

[njt edit: sorry mamin, no 'solicitation' allowed, themz da rulz]

Last edited by NJT; 12-24-14 at 12:08 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: