Burnham Gas Boiler Recycling Error

Old 01-25-14, 05:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham Gas Boiler Recycling Error

Hi All, We had a Burnham pvg5 boiler installed two weeks ago. So far so good except.. at times, I hear the thermostat click for heat on, the boiler comes on, but then shuts off after maybe two minutes. This may repeat every 10 minutes before the heat staying on. Today, I noticed an error code on the boiler display "Err 36" which = Soft Lockout, Maximun Numner of Recycles Exceeded" . Calling for service on Monday but any ideas what causing this? thanks.

Old 01-26-14, 09:12 AM
Received 88 Votes on 75 Posts
The 2 minutes on, 10 minutes off may not be due to the error but may just be cycling between the high limit and the differential until the water temperature comes up, especially if the thermostat is recovering from a setback.

A soft lockout will occur if the gas flame fails a number of times and will reset itself after about an hour. You can reset it manually before that in the boiler control or just by turning the service switch OFF then ON again.

Burnham has had trouble with the pilot assemblies and I think there may even be a recall. I had mine (on ES2 boiler) replaced in the first month of operation under warranty for the same problem that you are having.

One possible cause could be condensate falling on the flame detector.

If your boiler control shows a reading for flame detector current (FLA) it should be reading 10 to 13 or higher. If it falls too low the boiler control may show an error for that (mine is Err 4) but may still operate. I have seen that error several times since the pilot assembly was replaced, but the boiler continues to operate and the flame current is usually back to the higher reading in the same or next cycle.

Hopefully your service tech will know about this.

Old 05-21-14, 06:29 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi John.. after 5 visits from installer, Burnham came to the house... the answer... Pilot Assembly !! They changed it and Im good.. thanks, jp

Old 05-22-14, 10:05 AM
Received 88 Votes on 75 Posts
Too bad your installer did not know enough to contact Burnham the first time. Mine did as soon as I called them about the problem and had the part with him on the first visit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: