Not enough heat

Old 01-31-14, 07:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Not enough heat

Hi, I am having problems with the heat in my house. The outside tep was about 30 and the inside i set to 75. from lastnight to this morning the temp only went up by 1 degree in the house from 72 to 73 and does not seem to go any higher. I don't think there is enough heat emanating from the baseboard. Also the reset button on the aqua-stat kept tripping like 2 or 3 times per day. Where is what i have done and tried so far: I changed the pump ( cuz i had problems with it the previous year ). I changed the aqua-stat ( cuz some one advised me to, but that did not work, wasted $100). And i played around with all settings and ended up with Aqua-stat being at 195, High limit being at 180 and bleeding the boiler like 3 times ( as recommended by some people, and it didn't work). I also increased the psi and it kicked out all the water like 3 time till i gave up and left it to fill up to default. If someone could help me with this problem i would appreciate it. Just need to get the heat up so it can emanate more from the baseboard and actually heat up the house. What i have is a Pennco boiler 15B120FV0.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-14, 12:39 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Joseph, can you take a bunch of pics of your system so we can see what you are working with?

Until then, read these two threads:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

This one may or may not apply, depending on what type of expansion tank you have... but the basic principles apply in either case.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Old 01-31-14, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
FYI... Install manual...

These units made by Utica's I believe, as I installed one recently...

http://www.ecrinternational.com/secu...ument/3285.pdf

Old 02-01-14, 02:46 PM
J
Pics of boiler.

Ok here are some Pics. The expansion tank has a air valve. I was reading up that maybe the air is too low in it. I will have to get a pressure gauge to check this. Also the reset button on the aqua-stat reset last night.

Attached Images        
Old 02-01-14, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
No zone valves? Just one big zone? How many ft of baseboard element only on each floor?

Probably should zone them if they are not already....

As far as the over temp in the argo control the #'s do not necessarily relate to the boiler temp... Adjust the wheel inside to turn off at 180f on a call for heat..

As far as relief valve leaking water its either the expansion tank or the fill valve...

Old 02-01-14, 04:10 PM
NJT
Joseph, first off, you need to get some support on that expansion tank. I haven't a clue as to why some installers mount them sideways like that, but when they fail and fill with water, (as yours probably has) they get HEAVY! and can torque that pipe connection right off.

You DO need to check that expansion tank... I'm sure that if it's not ALL of the problem, it's a BIG part of it.

Mike, the Argo is probably just a relay, I believe that the OPERATING control is the Honeywell on the side. Joseph, is there a temp dial inside that box?

The one you replaced is a SECONDARY SAFETY LIMIT. That's why it has the reset button on it. It is intended to shut the burners down in case the PRIMARY LIMIT control fails and runs away. That control should probably be set to 200 or a bit higher even... for various reasons which I'll explain later.

I'm going to have more later... gotta go out for a while...

Old 02-01-14, 05:21 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
You need to clean up the wiring on that mess, especially the connections to the circulating pump need to be made up INSIDE the connection box. You may need to substitute a 90 degree flexible conduit fitting for the straight fitting there now.

As for the reset on the aquastat...that is a high temperature SAFETY shutdown aquastat and should be set at no less than 20 degrees higher than the operating control which should be set at about 180 degrees. The operating control is probably under the cover of the black box.

Old 02-01-14, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
I believe that the OPERATING control is the Honeywell on the side.

Im sorry, yes I see the Honeywell on the side... ( Left side boiler)

Old 03-03-14, 09:05 AM
J
Update

I'm back. So here's whats happened since i left. I called a guy who charged 150 just to bleed the system a little and raise the pressure in the tank. Everything was fine for a while until the temperature stared dropping again. Then i realized that the pressure went back down after a week or so. any ways i set back the pressure to like 15. It still didn't work. then i raised the temp on the lower aqua stat from 180 to 190 and on the upper aqua stat with the reset button from 210 to 220. Then everything started working fine. Except for the reset button on the upper aqua stat. that keeps resetting and cutting the heating system off like 2 or 3 in the morning. Then when i reset it everything comes back on. I tried a new thermostat but it was the same. Also when the system cuts off i can hear the water in the pipes falling back down to the boiler and it makes a loud noise. And i can hear bubbling like water falling on hot metal. If any one can help me with fixing the issue with the reset button so i don't have to get up like 2am in the morning to reset it to get some heat i would appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 03-03-14, 09:21 AM
NJT
Joseph, go back and read post #2 . Read the links that are there.

Without knowing that your pressure gauge is accurate and that your expansion tank is properly charged, there isn't much else you can do until then.