heating system boiler maintenance

Old 02-11-14, 10:17 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
heating system boiler maintenance

I’ve been wondering about water/mineral deposits in the piping that is used to carry the water in my heating system. It uses a boiler, and about 8 yrs. ago what I think was the original, was replaced. The original was a huge all cast iron monster. I had to break it into pieces with a sledgehammer. Anyhow….
I’m curious about the deposits that end up getting left in the piping system that go all around the house, and in the convectors.
Wondering if there is something I can add and do to flush the system, maybe I get better heat, or 0.03 off my heating bill???

The boiler we put in is a higher efficiency, and is working fine, I’d just like to maintain it and keep it in good working order.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-14, 11:26 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
The water in the system shouldn't be touched once it's operating unless you need to replace a component. As that water ages, it's gets better for the system. If the mfg of the boiler didn't specify any additives with the new install, don't use any.

Old 02-12-14, 09:24 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That is pretty much what I was thinking. What about the "makeup" water though? I don't forsee it having to top off very often, but obviously new water is added if the level gets low. There is a sort of pressure switch, or mechanism on the system that will add water if it is needed.
I'm going off memory here, so I can picture the device so well.

Old 02-12-14, 11:13 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Yes, there probably is a auto fill or pressure reducing valve on the system. A closed system shouldn't really need make up water, unless there's a slight leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: