help with new high eff.gas boiler installation

Old 02-13-14, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question help with new high eff.gas boiler installation

I recently purchased a small 1/2 double house in n.e. Pa that needs a new heating system.Natural gas is available and I would like to use a wall mounted cond/mod boiler.after reading much info,I would like some feed back on my design ideas.the house is about 1000 sq total 500 each floor and I would like to get the highest possible eff. out of the boiler.I read where 131 deg f is about where these boilers start to get less eff,so my question is how much heat can typical finned copper baseboard be expected to be produce with only 130 deg. supply water.I would also like to heat the dom. water with a indirect water heater.I also have a 80 gal. Vaughn stone lined tank that could be used as a buffer tank.Ideally I would like to zone the 1st floor as 1 zone,the 1st floor utility room as a 1 zone, the 2 nd floor as 1 zone and the 2nd floor bathroom as 1 zone for a total of 4 heating zone plus idf water heater.I did a quick heat loss with a program found on line and found that my total heat loss would be in the 30,000 to 35,000 btu range. I don't know how much boiler capacity is needed for the idf water heater.I know this post is quite long and involved but I really could use some input.
thanks,Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-14, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums...

Your heat loss seems about right...Probably closer to the 30K mark unless the home has drafts...

so my question is how much heat can typical finned copper baseboard be expected to be produce with only 130 deg.
I would have to look at the charts but you would need to over ratiate to produce the same heat that 180F water would produce...

IMO I would put high output stuff in so you dont take up too much wall space...

Heres the HO Chart for SF...

http://www.slantfin.com/images/stori...ltipak80_r.pdf

I would like to zone the 1st floor as 1 zone,the 1st floor utility room as a 1 zone, the 2 nd floor as 1 zone and the 2nd floor bathroom as 1 zone for a total of 4 heating zone plus idf water heater.
Breaking the zones down into micro zones probably is not the best idea IMO.. Let others chime in on that...

I also have a 80 gal. Vaughn stone lined tank that could be used as a buffer tank.
Thats a lot of water to warm... Your best off with a supor stor contender indirect that is matched for lower BTU boilers. Read the specs..

SuperStor Contender Indirect Water Heater - Literature - HTP

As far as the boiler.. IMO the best for smaller btu heat loss homes I would recommend peerless purfire. Its a 50k boiler ( smallest youl find) with a min fire rate of 16k btu...

Peerless® PUREFIRE®

Since the indirect will be priority its not a worry...

Getting your baseboard per room is the main concern..

I believe max zone should be in the 67 ft range... Are you even going to have 67 ft total for each floor?

Best to keep it one big zone... You will be very comfortable....

Old 02-13-14, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Use the slant fin heat loss calculator here and get a room by room....And total...

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ml#post2045389

Old 02-13-14, 03:30 PM
IMO the rule of thumb for the number of zones is, if the room has a door on it, then it should be zoned , barring this as many as you can afford. If the buffer tank controls when the boiler fires to heat it the number of zones will have no effect on when the burner fires. The zone valves will operate the pump only, to supply hot water to the zones from the buffer tank thus there is no more short cycling of the burner than if the system was on one zone. There is fuel savings with zoning and better comfort level as the room are heated to thermostat settings only better control of room temperature . Further savings can be realized when the buffer tank temperature is determined by an out door reset control .

Old 02-13-14, 05:36 PM
Who
Fintube makes significant heat at 150°... efficiency is achieved through low return temps, and by the time the water returns... That said, panel rads are nicer looking to some and work great with TRVs.

Old 02-13-14, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
IMO the rule of thumb for the number of zones is, if the room has a door on it, then it should be zoned , barring this as many as you can afford.
I never heard this rule of thumb... So my bathroom has 4ft baseboard and a door... Should I zone it and put a t stat in there?

Anyway saves the house is 500 sq ft per floor....There no reason to zone anything except the different levels...