4 zone switching relay or 6 zone switching relay

Old 02-14-14, 01:47 PM
4 zone switching relay or 6 zone switching relay

I will have 3 heating zones, an indirect water heater and a central air for cooling. Just wondering which switching relay control box I should buy, 4-zone or 6-zone?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-14, 02:14 PM
NJT
The indirect will count and be controlled as another zone, so you have 4 zones...

The air doesn't really come into play here... you do need to be careful when you wire the thermostat though.

If you go with the 6 zone, you have room for expansion, and 2 'spare' channels in case one goes bad.

Old 02-14-14, 03:51 PM
It depends. If it is a newer boiler by US Boiler it will already have two zones built in to the control. The second zone could be heat or DHW as the control offers priority or not depending how the control is set-up. Than you could buy a 4 zone and still have an extra zone or go with the three zone.

Old 02-14-14, 04:51 PM
NJT
I need to try and remember that about the US Boiler models ( Burnham, and I presume others ).

DIY, what boiler are you installing?

Old 02-14-14, 08:29 PM
Burnham Alphine gas boiler

Old 02-15-14, 07:45 AM
NJT
A little background will be helpful also... is this a NEW boiler installation or are you simply adding the zone control panel? You may have told us this before, but I can't remember...

Old 02-15-14, 11:35 AM
There is one zone here without control panel. I am adding 2 more zones which needs a control panel now.

Old 02-15-14, 11:52 AM
NJT
And how are you currently controlling the DHW?

Old 02-15-14, 02:15 PM
Domestic hot water to boiler and a 3 zone panel for heating zones.
If you would like to wait a few more months Burnham is coming out with their own zone panel. The new zone panel will be able to name each zone. It is a four zone panel expandable to 16 zone. You'll be able to input the BTUs per zone and limit the boiler to that zone that is firing. It will add together the zones and will still be able to ramp down to the required input. This could greatly increase system efficiency. It will also display cycles per zone so if you do not know the heat loss per zone you will see a high cycle rate. This means over time you can still dial each zone in for proper firing rate and efficiency. You also be able to reduce the input for domestic hot water. The hot water could be prioritized on the panel or on the boiler. With a total of 16 zones and the boiler you will have a total of 17 zones. You also have two heating curves one High and one low. The boiler won't fire at ignition speed and then ramp down to minimum for two minutes on the heat demand waiting for return water come back so knows exactly where to ramp up to.

Old 02-16-14, 11:22 AM
A separated stand alone electrical tank.

Old 02-16-14, 01:18 PM
NJT
an indirect water heater
is NOT the same thing as:

A separated stand alone electrical tank.
Two completely different animals.

So the answer becomes, the 4 zone is fine because you aren't running an indirect, either through the boiler controls or through the zone controls.

Old 02-16-14, 02:47 PM
it is a electrical tank now. I plan to replace it with an indirect water heater in 2 or 3 years.

Old 02-16-14, 03:07 PM
NJT
I said this earlier...

A little background will be helpful also..
What it means is that when you ask questions you will get answers related to only the information you give us. Withhold any information and you will not get the correct answers.

It's better to give MORE information than less...

So now my answer is going to change yet again.

Since it's always best to design in room for expansion, which you have planned already, then if you install a 4 zone panel, it will be full when you add the indirect.

So install a 6 zone panel.