Weil McClain Boiler Question

Old 02-24-14, 04:01 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This illustration shower the boiler supply and retun lines piped to the return rier. Can you explain how that configuration works?
That's your 'primary/secondary' connection, the location of the closely spaced tees.

Graphically, more or less what's shown here:

Your internal boiler pump circulates the proper flow for the boiler around the bottom loop, through the CSTs.

The other pumps draw what they require from the 'antlers' on either side.

The hot boiler water is 'injected' into the space heating loops and the indirect loop.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil McClain GV-5

Will the boiler pump suffice to circulate the indirect flow, or is the additional pump mounted in line on the supply side going to the indirect as was illustrated needed?

Old 02-25-14, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Will the boiler pump suffice to circulate the indirect flow, or is the additional pump mounted in line on the supply side going to the indirect as was illustrated needed?
Your asking this but how are you going to pipe it?

IMO we said all we can. Pipe it as post # 80 and be done with it...

Old 02-25-14, 05:05 AM
Weil McClain GV-5

I would consider piping it like it was drawn in post 80 but omitting the pump on the line going to the indirect as that would be redundant?

Old 02-25-14, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You cant pipe it without the pump with the close space tees. You need the pump for the indirect..

If you pipe the indirect inside of the tees off the boiler loop and utilize the boiler pump I guess you could use a zone valve them. price wise not much different in money.

Possibly trooper will modify the drawing to show this and/or suggest pros and cons.

I belive that way you will lose flow through the indirect and you will not get max recovery.. With a pump you will get proper flow through the indirect.. I believe in the 8 gpm range...

Old 03-07-14, 10:37 AM
Troop, I'm still refining my approach on this and was wondering if I use your graphic illustration and incorporate Mike NJ's drawing shown on post #80. Post #80 shows the bottom of the risers cut and connected' with a center drain valve installed. Can the risers coming from the boiler be T'd on to that pipe on both sides of the drain valve, forming a close spaced T? The piping as depicted on #80 makes me think the flow dropping down from the return riser will be pulled back up and mix with flow coming from the boiler, which port is on the right. Thanks

Old 03-07-14, 11:47 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No. The arrangement you are describing does not constitute a pair of closely spaced tees, it's not the same thing. HYDRAULICALLY it will not function as intended.

There are 'rules' for closely spaced tees that need to be followed. There are no shortcuts.

Old 04-03-14, 06:51 AM
Cold Start Weil Mclain GV-5 Series 1.

I'm getting water coming from the bottom of the stainless elbow sealant connected to the combustion chamber. The temps have risen around here and the boiler has not cycled during the day when the set back thermostat temp. set at 66 deg. has been maintained.
I had the mixing valve removed a couple of weeks ago based on SB0401R1. The system has been working great up until a few days ago. I initially suspected the condensate drain tube being clogged but last night I took the front cover off and could see water dripping from the bottom of the elbow where the sealant connects it to the boiler. The second page of SB0401R1 lits a piping bypass installed with a adjusting valve to compensate for the removed mixing valve. Is this an option?