HELP ME! Totally new to Boilers.

Old 02-19-14, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP ME! Totally new to Boilers.

Okay, my baseboards are freaking noisy. I don't recall them being as noisy, but my wife seems to think they have always been. We are new to the baseboard system. NEVER SEEN ONCE UNTIL WE BOUGHT THIS HOUSE. So please forgive me ignorance to anything I say. I went to the boiler room this morning before I left for work, because I wanted to see if there were any signs of anything abnormal. I did not see any water spills, or anything broken. I did include some pics, I did notice that the PSI is reading way beyond healthy. I am scared my house will blow, or something. What should I do? The system is broken down into three zones, and I am only currently running one zone, since the other is the basement and no one lives there. So I was trying to save money, by turning the thermostat off. Would that relive the pressure? I have called around some places here and none of them do residential boilers. It is like they think I am odd.

Boiler Photos by island_boy78 | Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-14, 11:37 AM
I don't see anything too out of place pressure wise and temp wise. Temp is reading around 140 deg and the pressure looks to be in the high 20's. How about some description on what the noise is you are hearing. As far as the zones not working, it is hard to say from the rats nest of wiring. A wire may be pulled loose or you could have a bad zone valve

Old 02-19-14, 12:37 PM
Sounds like someone is banging the pipe, and sometimes it is a "pin"ing noise when it goes through the base board. Does that make sense?

Old 02-19-14, 12:40 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The system pressure is borderline high, close to 30 PSI from what can see.

Your system has a safety pressure relief valve which is typically made to open at 30 PSI so it's likely that if you don't do 'something' that you will have hot water discharging from that relief valve soon.

If you are able to follow instructions, you may be able to handle some of the maintenance that is required, particularly the gray expansion tank and the pressure gauge.

Start by reading these two posts:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Please try to describe the noise you are hearing... when you hear it, etc ... what is the boiler system doing when you hear the noise, ...

Old 02-19-14, 01:23 PM
Can you tell me which one would be the drain valves? Also, if I open them would water not dart out into the pressure gauge? As far as the tank, I started reading about it on here. it seems like I have to knock on it to make sure it is working, as well touch to make sure there is a cold, and hot side? Is that correct? Also, the red valve that runs to it, should be open correct? Is there a way to make sure that is the case without breaking the system? Also, the pic has the green stem, I assume that is outside line. Is that open or closed? Can you tell by looking at pic?

The noise is seems like when the boiler fire kicks in, and starts to move around the house it rattle some pipes. It seems the pipe are banging against something. But, it not all the time and it doesn't last the entire time. I have tried to hear if I can hear water coming through, but nope can't make it out. Sometimes I can it the spring noise from the baseboards. But, don't think that is abnormal. Thanks for your help

Old 02-19-14, 02:28 PM
NJT
Sounds like someone is banging the pipe, and sometimes it is a "pin"ing noise when it goes through the base board. Does that make sense?
Yes it does. I think what you are hearing is the sounds of the pipes expanding and contracting.

When installers put the system in, they should always account for the fact that the pipes will expand and contract as the hot water goes through them, but most of the time they don't care and just slap them in as quickly as possible.

There may not be a lot you can easily do about it...

Can you tell me which one would be the drain valves?
You need to take more pictures. In addition to the close shots we need to see the entire system from a distance, well lighted without shadows so we can see where the pipes all connect.

it seems like I have to knock on it to make sure it is working, as well touch to make sure there is a cold, and hot side? Is that correct?
No. Not at all. Any and all of those actions are old wives tales. They are NOT an accurate way to tell the air charge in the tank. You didn't read that here...

There is only ONE WAY, and that is the steps that are outlined in the previous posting.

Also, the red valve that runs to it, should be open correct?
If you are following the procedure in the previous posting, yes, that valve would remain open. You would only need to close that valve when you replace the tank if it comes to that.

Also, the pic has the green stem, I assume that is outside line. Is that open or closed? Can you tell by looking at pic?
I think you are talking about the valve with the green handle in this (and other) picture?

If so, YES, that green valve is the manual water shut off valve to the boiler. That handle only turns 90 from open to closed, 1/4 turn... it is shown in the OPEN position. When the handle is perpendicular to the pipe, the valve is closed.

Old 02-19-14, 02:55 PM
So you think the noise is mainly that, more than air in the system?

Sorry I didn't mean I read it here. I got online today and started reading what I could read about this stuff. I really only posted here, because you seemed thorough and was secretly hoping you would reply. =)

Is this something that needs to be done tonight, or can it wait til the weekend?

I am going to get better pics tonight.

Old 02-19-14, 03:22 PM
NJT
So you think the noise is mainly that, more than air in the system?
I think so based on what you've said so far. If you had tons of air in the system it would sound like really bad indigestion... the kind where you pull the car over on the interstate and go running for the woods.

Sorry I didn't mean I read it here.
No problem... I didn't think so! There is TONS and TONS of REALLY BAD information out on the 'net... and the sad part of that is, there is no way to 'fix' it. Anyone can be a self-proclaimed 'expert' on the internet, all they have to do is say so. On my 'day job' I'm a 'Rocket Surgeon'. See? It's true! Read it on the internet. Always look for 'creds'. Don't trust anything you read on the net without checking the creds.

Is this something that needs to be done tonight, or can it wait til the weekend?
No... in fact, if you can wait until the weather warms up you will be much safer. It is VERY possible that you will run into a situation that you can't 'fix', and then be without heat... you do NOT want a cold and pizzed off wife on your back, but you know that already!

Once we see the pics of everything, we can come up with a 'game plan' that won't leave you stranded without heat.

Old 02-19-14, 03:30 PM
NJT
In the meantime, in this pic here:

Behind that large black pipe between the green PUMP and the boiler, there is a SAFETY RELIEF VALVE. We can see the pipe that comes off and goes down the side of the boiler.

If you can fit a bucket under that pipe, do so.

That way if the valve DOES open from over pressure you can minimize the water you have to clean up.