Boiler problem [Relocated thread]

Old 02-19-14, 09:28 PM
Boiler problem [Relocated thread]

Hi,

I just love this community of DIY - You all are amazing !

Pressure Relief Valve of My Utica Gas Furnace -- Model 225 AGB is spewing water every so often, most likely at the end of each cycle (every time it stops).

I have changed Pressure relief valve but no success at all.

I read few posts specially this one by NJ Trooper but got stuck at Step 4 as there is no place to check air pressure.

I don't know if i have to replace Expansion tank, or if expansion tank is the problem or something else.

I would appreciate any help

Attached Images         
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-14, 12:33 AM
There is a fitting on the bottom of the expansion tank that is similar to the valve on a tire where you check/add air. That is where you check the pressure in the expansion tank. You need to isolate the tank from the system...which you cannot do the way yours is connected...or else reduce the system pressure to zero BEFORE attempting to check the expansion tank pressure or else you will just be measuring the system pressure.

Unless you have a "tankless" water heater integral to the boiler the ONLY reason for high pressure is either a faulty "automatic feedwater regulator" (Pressure Reducing Valve or PRV) or an expansion tank that has lost its air charge.

Oh, the term "furnace" is generally used only for a device that heats air for distribution through ducts to heat the home. You have a boiler.

Old 02-20-14, 05:27 AM
NJT
You need to isolate the tank from the system...which you cannot do the way yours is connected...
If using the procedure in the thread that OP was reading, isolating the tank is not needed, and relieving the pressure in the system is...

Look on the bottom of the tank, there may be a plastic cap on the air valve. It will thread off if there is.

You need to change that air vent on top of the air scoop as well, that can't possibly be working and in fact appears to have been weeping for a long time.

the ONLY reason for high pressure is either a faulty "automatic feedwater regulator" (Pressure Reducing Valve or PRV) or an expansion tank that has lost its air charge.
Or BOTH!