In floor heating in new kitchen

Old 02-20-14, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In floor heating in new kitchen

I have in floor hating in a few areas on my home. Am thinking of redoing kitchen and wife would like it there.What could I use in kitchen other than a mud job to install plastic tubing in floor. Getting a little older and mud job is out of question at this point. I had once seen ply wood that you can lay tubing in and just cement ceramic tiles over. Not sure if this is still around but what suggestion would you have.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-14, 02:41 PM
Who
What kind of floor construction? What is underneath the floor?

Old 02-20-14, 03:37 PM
The kitchen that I want to redo is on the second floor.It is above the 1st floor kitchen.

Old 02-20-14, 03:52 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not going to have the ceiling down on the 1st floor kitchen, are you?

If you are, do 'staple up' with heat transfer plates from the underside and insulate below that.

Look at Warmboard, Inc. | ---stuff is a little pricey.

Old 02-20-14, 04:19 PM
be careful with heat loading in kitchens and washrooms, many ties there is not the surface area to be able to heat the space properly.
Towel rails are good suplemental heat in washrooms, and kick space heaters work well in kitchens.

Old 02-20-14, 05:28 PM
I have hot water base board heat in the kitchen.Wife would like heated floor if doing new kitchen.In old age have to admit it does feel good on cold feet.

Old 02-21-14, 12:32 PM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
Check out the Quik-trak system available from PexSupply.com.

Quik Trak , Wirsbo Quik Trak , Wirsbo Quik Trak Panels - PexSupply.com

I have used it in bathrooms with tile and wood flooring and as a "staple-up" substitute for a kitchen.

One bathroom just has engineered wood flooring glued down on top of the Quik-Trak. The other has 1/4 inch cement board on top of the Quik-Trak and 1/8 inch thick tile on top of that.

If you are using large size tile (6 x 6 or more) and it is thicker tile and if your subfloor is solid enough you probably can install the tile right on the Quik-Trak without the backer board. If there is any bounciness or spring in the floor structure then you will have to use backer board to prevent cracks in the joints and the possibility of tiles coming loose. The weight of the larger tiles on the structure also has to be considered.

Since I had material available and access in the basement below the kitchen (wood floor), I installed Quik-Trak on the bottom of the subfloor and then insulated between the joists with fiberglass.

All three installations are providing good supplemental heating for the feet where local cold spots existed before. The rooms all have primary heating as well.

The installation is very easy and the result is fantastic!

Last edited by 2john02458; 02-21-14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 12:45 PM
I have been renovating my basement and while I have access to the floor joists, I decided to add an radiant zone to my small bathroom- it has approximately 33' sq floor space and a very small amount of baseboard heating- I figured the extra radiant heat could supplement the always cold room. I purchased the Wirsbo heat transfer plates on eBay (very inexpensive way to go) and received them in 2 days. Very easy to attach- I used a small piece of 2x4 to push the pex into the track. All told it cost me about $150 (100' pex, 12 transfer plates , Super TUFF-R 2 in. R-13 Foam Insulation, screws and manifold connectors) and took about 90 minutes to complete. Here is a picture:

Here is the link Wirsbo 1 2 Heat Transfer Panel Uponor Track Plate PEX Radiant Heat Tubing | eBay to the ebay store where I bought the heat transfer plates. He charge me $15 for two day shipping.