Replacement bladder recommendation

Old 02-21-14, 08:27 PM
Replacement bladder recommendation

The bladder tank on my boiler seems to be shot. (I know the "tap on the tank" test won't tell you if it's good. But it surely is BAD if it sounds like a big tank full of water, right?)

The Home Depot sells these things, but a number of reviews say "this started leaking in 3 weeks" and things like that ... the sort of stuff you don't want to hear.

Does someone have a company whose bladder tanks they believe in and recommend? I know I'll pay a bit extra, but I'm quite happy to do so for a good product.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-14, 08:35 PM
NJT
But it surely is BAD if it sounds like a big tank full of water, right?
No, I wouldn't trust a tap test in any direction. Do the diagnostics. Even if it IS full of water, it's POSSIBLE that all you need to do is add air. Don't change a tank that doesn't need it.

If your tank were bad, the pressure would be high and the relief valve probably spewing.

You DID read this, right? Step by step for checking/charging the air in tank. Follow EXACTLY:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Extrol is as good as any, but the B&G are fine too.

What tank is on there now?

Make sure you don't have a FILL-TROL, because those are 'special' tanks and do cost a bit more.

Old 02-21-14, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
The Home Depot sells these things, but a number of reviews say "this started leaking in 3 weeks" and things like that ... the sort of stuff you don't want to hear.
I have and get them at the home store on occasion. Yes have one on my boiler...

Nothing wrong with watts, I use the products all the time...

Watts 6.6-Gal. Steel Water Expansion Tank-ET60 at The Home Depot

Old 02-22-14, 07:46 AM
I followed the instructions as exactly as I could...because it appears that the boiler's pressure gauge isn't working right: even though I drained from the tap at the bottom of the boiler (with another tap open to let air in) until there was only a trickle -- about 10 - 15 gals total -- the boiler pressure gauge remained constant. Anyhow, no water came out the schrader valve, and the bladder pumped up to 14 PSI quite easily, so I refilled, bled the system where possible, and I'm now running it to be sure things are working right.

So: bladder tank probably OK. Pressure/temp gauge possibly screwed up. Sigh.

Old 02-22-14, 07:55 AM
NJT
until there was only a trickle -- about 10 - 15 gals total
Yeah, I'm certain that the gauge is pooched, there is no way that you would have needed to drain 10-15 gallons to drop pressure to zero... maybe TWO to FOUR at the MOST.

So read this for a pretty easy way to verify the gauge accuracy. Perhaps should have had you do this FIRST!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Old 02-22-14, 10:05 AM
Strangely enough, I already had a spare gauge-assembly like this lying around (from about 20 years ago, when our local water pressure was insanely low, and I wanted to document it), but completely forgot its existence. D'oh! I drained all that stuff in part because I wanted to be certain (once I'd figured out the gauge was lying) to empty the upstairs loop, since that could have provided a good deal of pressure. Of course, thinking about the volume of 100 or so feet of 3/4 tubing, I should have realized that a few gallons would do the job. Sigh. Live and learn.