expansion tank waterlogged

Old 02-24-14, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
expansion tank waterlogged

I have a Weil McLain series 3 oil fired natural draft water boiler. I had some water coming out or the pressure relief valve so i replaced that but didnt fix the problem. I found my expansion tank was waterlogged so i replaced that. It seemed problem was fixed but now it seems tank is waterlogged again. What keeps making this happen? I have attached a picture of boiler to help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 10:24 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Drop the pressure in the the boiler to zero and put a tire gauge on the shhrader valve on the bottom of the tank. If you get 0 psi charge to 15 psi. If it doesn't hold a charge it's defective and must be replaced.
If it's an Amtrol I believe there's a 3 yr. warranty.

Old 02-24-14, 10:56 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How do you know that the tank is waterlogged again? Is the relief valve still 'spewing'?

You could also possibly have a defective pressure reducing valve that is leaking through and SLOWLY over pressurizing the boiler.

Read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

and this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Old 02-24-14, 11:23 AM
Yes water is again coming out of pressure relief valve. my crude way of telling if tank is waterlogged also is when i knock on tank it sounds solid and shakes pipes quite a bit. I am currently waiting for system to cool to try to re-pressurize tank.

Old 02-24-14, 02:22 PM
ok I was able to drain the water from the tank. Baffle seems to be intact so the only other problem would be a bad pressure reducing valve?

Old 02-24-14, 02:59 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
my crude way of telling if tank is waterlogged also is when i knock on tank it sounds solid and shakes pipes quite a bit.
Yes, crude, and completely ineffective. Proven time and again that you can't tap on a tank and tell the air pressure in the tank.

When you installed it you should have checked it first. It should have been 12-15 PSI. If that's a new tank there is no way that it lost it's air charge unless it was defective and I kinda doubt that it was.

You need to follow the procedure in that note that I posted... step by step, to the LETTER... no deviation... else you won't have the right air charge in your tank.

the only other problem would be a bad pressure relief valve?
No.

Please re-read message # 3, and click on the links and read those also.

Pay attention to this statement that I made:

You could also possibly have a defective pressure reducing valve that is leaking through and SLOWLY over pressurizing the boiler.

Old 02-24-14, 06:35 PM
Tapping it actually worked like a charm because now when i tap it it has an empty sound and doesnt shake pipes (due to excess weight) No it wont give me a pressure reading but good way to tell if its waterlogged. I did follow your steps to the letter to fix current situation. I however was not aware of this site when i originally installed the tank. I did nothing to pressurize the tank then, due to it saying it was already pre-charged. That was in November. Time will tell if it stays but so far so good.