Boilers going but not getting hot water.

Old 02-26-14, 04:53 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boilers going but not getting hot water.

I have a storage tank off the Boiler it is the blue tank in the pics. The pump is humming away and is hot the hot water pipe coming out the top of the tank is cold. It gets plugged in so it keeps the water hot. Not certain if the outside of this tank is usually hot but it us cool to the touch now.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 07:03 PM
S
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Oakley,
That is what they call an aqua booster tank and stores hot water made by your tankless coil in the boiler.
Are the pipes hot coming from the tankless to the tank.
Is the boiler running to make hot water. If not either your boiler went off on reset or the pump isn't working.
It may be humming but that doesn't mean it's working.
Take a screwdriver and put the metal end on the pump and the other end to your ear and see if you can hear it run.
If the aquastat on the tank is calling then the pump should be running and the the boiler should come on to make hot water for the tank.

Old 02-26-14, 08:09 PM
O
yes the pipes coming from the boiler are hot.

I beat on the pump a bit and it went from vibrating to pumping think I got it moving again. Got hot water in the kitchen. What brought my attention to this was the wife screaming while showering earlier the water went cold for some 4 or 5 minutes.

Does the aqua booster have a heating mechanism that keeps the tank hot or is it just heated by the boiler? The water has been taken a while to heat up. Not sure if it's the cold or I am having a problem with this holding tank.

Thanks

Oakey

Old 02-26-14, 08:26 PM
S
There should be a control on the tank that starts the pump to send water back to the boiler to get heated.
The problem is yourtankless coil in the boiler is probably not producing good hot water due to liming in the coil itself.
The tank only can store the water being produced by the coil. If the coil gets to a point where it can't make hot water anymore the tank is useless.

I'm not a fan of the aqua booster tank for that reason. It only stores what the coil can produce. If the situation gets worse you'll have to replace or service the coil or get a better option for making hot water.

Good Luck,

Old 02-27-14, 10:22 AM
O
so what you are saying

is that the water is only heated up by the boiler. So the holding tank only acts as a storage place that monitors water temperature? If temperatures go beneath the set temp in the Aqua Booster then the pump on the holding tank kicks on and calls for hot water from the boiler? The Aqua Booster does not heat up the water?

I think I am starting to understand this system. Thank you.

The boiler is now cookin up some hot water. I had a nice hot shower this morning. I think the pump on the aqua booster was seized. And when I beat on it I got it going again I heard it kick on. Up until I did this there was no hot water and the tank was not calling for hot water because the boiler did not kick on.

Thanks Oakey

Old 02-27-14, 12:16 PM
S
Oakley,
Yes, that's exactly the way the system works. The tank is only for storage.

Be Well,

Old 02-27-14, 03:50 PM
O
Thanks Spott much appreciated

Each time I come on this board with an issue I get an education. Heck Troop gave me the Boiler Prier Course in my last outing here.

Thanks

Old 02-27-14, 03:53 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
And you iz a good student too! You get a gold star for the day Oakey!

Old 03-02-14, 09:06 AM
O
Thanks again Troop this section of this website is No Joke you guys are life savers

Oaks