Possible to directly power a circulator pump? Smartcontrol failure on amtrol

Old 02-27-14, 07:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Possible to directly power a circulator pump? Smartcontrol failure on amtrol

Hi All,

What a great forum, two hours of reading I was able to take apart the smartcontol panel on our amtrol boilermate and figure out what I am going to need to do attempt my best at repairing the circuit. Wife and I just became homowners and I'm learning a ton.

I was wondering just so we can have some hotwater for tomorrow is it advisable to directly splice the power into the circulator pump and let it run until the hot water tank is heated?

Thanks for any help, Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-14, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Welcome.

You could just touch the t stat wires togther for a short time... There will be nothing to tell the boilermate its getting hot though and shut down.The relief valve can trip from over temperature..

Probably not good advice though.....

Splicing the circ will not fire the boiler...

Old 02-27-14, 07:49 PM
C
Thanks for the response. I didn't think about that the boiler was not going to start. I'll try to fix the circuit first thing tomorrow.

Old 02-27-14, 11:12 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
There are some other threads on the Amtrol Boilermate thermostat. Perhaps you could find them via a search.

I remember that one of the posts had instructions on how to re-work the control and another had a contact person at Amtrol that had provided replacement controls to those whose controls had failed.

Old 02-28-14, 05:56 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
As I recall, the problem with the early controls was an electrolytic capacitor failure, it was apparently under-rated for the voltage or ripple current specification and suffered early failure.

Old 02-28-14, 02:56 PM
T
If you can determine if a cap did go bad and know how to solder, Digikey Electronic parts will have replacement electrolytic caps available.

Last edited by NJT; 02-28-14 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fixed URL
Old 02-28-14, 04:28 PM
S
From 2003 to 2005 I went through 3 of the "smart digital controls" on mine 2 under warranty and I bought 1. I got sick of it and bought the manual stat that just has the knob and have been trouble free since. Just pull the control off and get the wires together to heat it up. Just be careful as like said above it will not shut off and could get too hot. When waiting for my stat I just wired in a toggle switch and used that.
I think I used this one 2704-093 - Amtrol 2704-093 - Aquastat/Thermostat
Although I do think the newer smart controls have been updated and do not burn out.